Years ago, the son of a friend was at Georgetown and
by G.K.Chesterton (2019-06-20 21:09:03)

In reply to: I know you don’t like Jesuits schools, but my  posted by Jennyb

brought up a point in class regarding the Catholic Church. The professor came over to him and said emphatically, "This is not a Catholic university. This is a Jesuit university!"

That young man was ordained in 2016 as a Dominican priest.

Some version of that urban legend has been circulating
by starburns  (2019-06-20 22:45:27)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

for years.

I have a close friend who is a Jesuit priest who I watched openly confront a Georgetown undergrad tour guide he overheard saying something similar.

This priest got a degree in international relations
by G.K.Chesterton  (2019-06-20 23:36:39)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

from Georgetown and speaks four languages (I can't remember if his dad went there). His bio says he worked as a lobbyist for the UN until he realized this wasn't the life for him.

For reasons not clear to me, he latched onto the Dominicans in Poland (he speaks at least Polish, Hebrew, French, and Italian) and spent years as a monk before eventually being ordained. He has spent many months in the past in Israel and loves that country but I don't know where he is at the moment.

I meant the legend about the “Jesuit not Catholic” trope
by starburns  (2019-06-21 07:08:30)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I’ve also heard the version where the person transfers, drops out, becomes a nun, etc.