self employed folks...how do you do health care
by irishrock (2019-06-21 13:51:57)

for family...just curious as to how you make it affordable? I've seen some that pay $1500/month just to get a HDHP at $10,000. That just seems really high to me but I'd be curious as to what people on the board do.

Thanks

We used CMF CURO (link)
by NDND  (2019-06-21 23:09:17)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Not self-employed but we use Christian Healthcare Ministries
by Stonebreaker9  (2019-06-21 15:11:18)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

and it’s $150/month per person on their gold plan that covers every bill over $500 at 100%. We also do the brother’s keeper for unlimited protection for an extra approximately $200/year.

DO NOT go with Liberty Healthshare. *
by Jeash  (2019-06-21 14:48:55)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

With pre-existing conditions, it's pretty brutal
by IrishNYCA  (2019-06-21 14:36:43)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

~$15K in annual premiums plus $8K deductible. Doing a PPO so I have access to pretty much any doctor. A benefit is my cancer meds are at the PPO's negotiated price...if they weren't, our total out of pocket would skyrocket.

My spouse and I discussed yesterday shopping around again. So I'm curious to hear what other posters have discovered.

What do pre-existing conditions have to do with that? * *
by KeoughCharles05  (2019-06-21 15:31:26)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Perhaps I misunderstood. I thought the question was about
by IrishNYCA  (2019-06-21 16:05:46)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

health insurance for the self employed. Pre-existing conditions aren’t a barrier any longer in obtaining insurance (though we’ll see what happens in the future). They are, however, a factor in the cost of insurance in my experience.

Outside of noncompliant plans
by KeoughCharles05  (2019-06-22 10:54:32)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Pre-existing conditions are not factored into the price directly. Because of guaranteed issue and community rating, everyone's costs go up, but having a pre-existing condition does not make your insurance more expensive than anyone else's.

Good info. Thank you! *
by IrishNYCA  (2019-06-23 16:47:49)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Medishare - $293/mo for $10,500 deductible. Family of 6
by rockne2b  (2019-06-21 14:30:34)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

There are special provisions about wearing seat belts, not drinking in excess, not having children out of wedlock etc., so read the fine print carefully.

However, if you're generally healthy, it's a great option even for the family. I figure I save $1200/month on the premium vs. tradition insurance and can use those savings to easily pay my medical bills.