It will make it more difficult to sell your house.
by Giggity_Giggity (2019-07-15 15:34:27)

In reply to: What should I know before I put in a swimming pool?  posted by o2v4nd

It will cost more than you think to keep it up, especially as the equipment ages and if you aren’t handy. Case in point: it costs $200 to get someone to look at my pool heater. I’ve fixed it four times in the past few years for $20 in parts, a few hours of sweating, and by watching a YouTube video.

It will mean that you host the preponderance of any family/friends get togethers (I find this a positive).

Make sure you have a heater unless you live on the sun. You will grow to enjoy the freedom of warming up the water in the early/late season or at night.

Where are you located?

I am a pool person, but you are correct on resale. Too many
by ndwifemom  (2019-07-15 17:59:21)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

people think a pool adds value when, in fact, it may be the opposite. Depends on where you live, I think. They seem to be ubiquitous in areas with year round heat, but not necessarily a good investment in areas with four real seasons. My brother has one in NJ. Replacing the heater would have cost $5000. Cover was $1000 to replace. His late Labrador used it more than anyone.

In the end homeowners should do what they want. If a family enjoys a pool or you like to swim laps (great exercise), go for it. Just understand the realities.

Labradors and pools - yes!
by bizdomer09  (2019-07-15 22:51:20)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

They love them. It’s awesome. My parents also had a yellow lab in CA who used their pool more than anyone. She would go for a swim whenever she felt like it. For some reason it gave me great joy just to see the dog jump in and doggypaddle around on her own. Aside from the dog I don’t think we used the pool much, but it was great when we did, and from that there are many good memories I still carry.

How much does heating your pool drive up your
by TWO  (2019-07-15 16:49:23)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

electric bill. It doesn't seem like you can just turn it on and in a a short time have a nice comfortable water temp.

My heater is natural gas, and yes, it's quick.
by Giggity_Giggity  (2019-07-15 17:14:37)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I can go up 2 degrees an hour in full sun, usually about 1 degree an hour overnight.

The natural gas costs me about $100 for a whole summer of usage. I probably run the heater for 100 hours a season, and a 240K BTU pool heater uses about 2.5 therms of NG per hour. At $0.45-ish per therm, that equates to just over a dollar an hour.

Natural Gas, I hadn't thought of that..
by TWO  (2019-07-15 17:35:38)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

very neat.

I have a picture in my mind
by mitquinn  (2019-07-15 17:23:10)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Your pool is full of ginger ale and you toggle the nat gas temps to secure rib basting excellence....

I am well marbled, so braising works wonders. *
by Giggity_Giggity  (2019-07-15 17:37:22)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Along the lines of upkeep
by raygun  (2019-07-15 15:58:25)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

You'll have a lot of work to do in terms of cleaning the pool and maintaining the right balance of chemicals. My parents have one and my dad works on it every day for those activities alone.

The UV filtering is supposed to alleviate most
by o2v4nd  (2019-07-15 16:02:19)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

of the chemical balancing. Supposedly, or so I'm told. That's one of things I'm trying to identify sales pitch vs reality on.

And I work out of my house, so tending to the pool can provide a nice break during the day. I can understand how it might be challenge if I was spending long days away from home though.

Yeah, I actually enjoy the evening ritual of going out...
by Giggity_Giggity  (2019-07-15 16:09:00)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

...to the pool, cracking open a beer, and checking everything out. It's a nice transition from work to home.

What’s yer address, yer on Briar, right? You got a pool over
by 1NDGal  (2019-07-15 15:45:17)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

dere?

Thanx fer the invite, pal. Gee whiz.

I propose NDN DAY AT GIGGITY’S! 1:00 to 1:15 pm.

Homes here sell much more quickly with a pool
by o2v4nd  (2019-07-15 15:40:30)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

than without. I'm in Southern California / Temecula.

Ah ha. Then you're good. *
by Giggity_Giggity  (2019-07-15 15:58:11)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post