My city just banned plastic bags
by rutfilthygers (2019-07-15 20:33:32)

In reply to: Planet Money just did a two-parter on this.  posted by starburns

I'm not going to lie, it's been a bit difficult to get used to. I don't like that I'm essentially required to carry around a tote bag.

Went to a baseball game recently and they'd banned plastic straws. Even the paper ones were only available upon request.

The segment includes the revelation that
by starburns  (2019-07-16 00:32:27)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

the environmental impact of a cotton tote bag is worse by an order of magnitude than a plastic bag because of the relative water-intensivity of production. The economists they interviewed estimated charging people $0.05 a bag was actually more effective than bans.

DC banned straws recently but before that my local coffee place went to paper and “shark safe” straws. The former have obvious drawbacks; the latter can’t stand up against the star-puncture lids. Starbucks and a few other places have started offering cold drink lids that don’t require straws. But I went and bought a Yeti tumbler with a hard plastic straw and have it filled with iced coffee. Bonuses include I get extra coffee because baristas like the tumbler so they fill it to 22 oz every time and it doesn’t sweat from condensation.

I travel with an insulated water bottle and coffee mug
by thecontrarian (click here to email the poster)  (2019-07-16 14:26:46)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I know that I save at least $1 at my local convenience store when I bring my own mug. The coffee stays hotter longer as well.

Interestingly--the Danes proved this is actually worse
by Allumeuse  (2019-07-15 21:22:17)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

The entire world is a hellscape.

I really dislike disposable plastic shopping bags
by thecontrarian (click here to email the poster)  (2019-07-16 14:31:11)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I have plastic reusable bags that have lasted 5+ years and hold lots more stuff than the flimsy disposable bags provided at my supermarket.

I have no idea what to do.