That's a load of crap
by ACross (2019-08-23 10:56:52)
Edited on 2019-08-23 10:57:56

In reply to: If you cook, it's handy.  posted by ndtnguy

You are OCD when it comes to cooking.

I gut rehabbed a kitchen and thought through all these things and had no use for a faucet above my stove. How often do I cook pasta? For myself? Pretty close to never. I stick to proteins, I really don't give a shit about vegetables and when I do cook and eat them I either buy them from the gourmet carry out or roast them. Now, my kids love noodles. And I do cook them fresh Italian noodles, because it's a better product and it cooks faster. I can handle the 5 foot walk with a pot of water.

Now, my sink is pretty close to my range. I considered things like that.

Which is also why I eschewed a "prep sink" in my kitchen island. That place is for congregating and entertaining. It's 12 feet long. It's much better looking without a hole in it and a faucet sticking up. Seating on 3 sides.

So, my advice is to shitcan the faucet and the stupid prep sink but instead to design the kitchen so everything is efficient - sink, stove, range, refrigerator, dishes, garbage, ovens. Our designer was an engineer by education and that ruled.

It's not a load of crap, you just didn't want one
by ndtnguy  (2019-08-23 12:44:00)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Which is perfectly fine. I am a little puzzled at the emotions people seem to have over this topic.

But the fact that you didn't want or need one doesn't mean that it would not be convenient to have a pot filler. Is not having one the end of the world? No, of course not. But it is indisputably more convenient to fill a pot in place than having to move it, even if the convenience is only marginal. So my assessment that it is handy is, even if not controlling, certainly not "a load of crap."

All you've done is take your assessment of the costs and benefits, measured in light of your own cooking habits, and dressed it up as an objective fact stated with unnecessary acerbity.

I agree that a prep sink taking up space in an island is probably more of a nuisance than anything else.

You erred in using a syllogism
by ACross  (2019-08-23 13:06:59)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

And it's pronounced "urred" not "aired."

Can be nice when perfecting a good pot of oatmeal. *
by Bruno95  (2019-08-23 11:28:04)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Agree on pot filler, disagree on prep sink.
by ndroman21  (2019-08-23 11:16:23)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

A prep sink is a great feature, as it allows you two completely separate cooking areas if the kitchen is set up properly.

It also allows you to separate the cleanup area from the cooking area, and begin cleanup while someone else is still doing prep/cooking.

Finally, it lets you make yourself breakfast even if you didn't get around to doing the dishes from last night's party.

There are plenty of very pretty bar sinks and faucets out there than can function as a prep sink. And the island can function as a place for gathering/entertaining while cooking with a prep sink.

No space for the prep sink in the island, unfortunately.
by Wooderson  (2019-08-28 05:32:27)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

But to ACross's point above, we're setting it to be the "command center"/gathering spot in the kitchen

As the farmhouse sink is going to be directly opposite the range top, my wife decided we can live without it

I am a minimalist and think less is more
by ACross  (2019-08-23 11:46:36)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Sinks collect shit like dishes and glasses and stuff.

Faucets protrude.

Efficiency and purpose prevail.

And nobody needs two cooks in the kitchen.

I’m a minimalist because I’m cheap *
by acrossdmiddle  (2019-08-23 14:28:42)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

yeah, I didn't skimp *
by ACross  (2019-08-23 17:10:58)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

But you put it all into just ONE house. *
by The Holtz Room  (2019-08-23 20:02:50)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Form follows function.
by ndroman21  (2019-08-23 11:52:24)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Prep sinks certainly serve a function/purpose.

Dishes go in the cleanup sink, that is its function/purpose.

It's fine if you don't, but lots of people cook with their spouses.

In reality, I don't really care if you (or a client) would prefer not to have a prep sink. In the end, it's your (or their) kitchen). I'll simply point out the advantages and show a design the minimizes their concerns to give the best of both worlds. If they reject the idea, that's part of the job.

I absolutely hate to state this publically
by catripledomer  (2019-08-23 11:23:29)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

But I agree with Across on this one. Having an uninterrupted island surface has been a godsend for us. When we entertain, everyone is standing around the island in the kitchen. Having a sink and faucet would be very disruptive.

Plus, if you clean as you go, then the mess doesn't pile up when you are cooking.

How does a small sink disrupt people standing at the island?
by ndroman21  (2019-08-23 11:32:14)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

If the island is deep enough to have seating there is plenty of room for plates and glasses behind the sink. And one's line of sight is well above the height of a faucet.

I guess I'm not understanding the limitation. I think the advantages would more than outweigh it.

P.S. A prep sink doesn't necessarily have to go in the island, either.

It's more about usable surface and standing area
by catripledomer  (2019-08-23 13:07:31)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Our kitchen island tends to be the center of social functions, especially New Year's Eve. Since we are in California, things aren't as spread out as I would like. We have a decent size island (about 42" x 72") but I would not want it disrupted by a prep sink.

Unfortunately, I don't really have another place I could put one. not sure I would want one if I could. The non-island option seems reasonable if it could be co-located with the main sink, but I really like an island that is not used as a cook station, be it prep or cooktop. I like being able to congregate on all sides.

I think too many people get one for no good reason
by ACross  (2019-08-23 12:25:41)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Same reason too many people get other superfluous things in a kitchen. Now, we are a little different in that we dont microvwave or freeze food so we chose a 36 inch fridge with a bottom drwaer freezer which is plenty for us. Our microwave is a small one that is used solely for heating up kids bottles and food. We don't bulk grocery shop so we didnt need a stupid walk in pantry. That's what the grocery store a mile away is for. So we go there 2 or 3 times a week and buy fresh food that doesnt suck. Unlike what you get at Costco

I highly recommend the fridge i chose. Liebherr.

Agreed. *
by jddomer  (2019-08-23 11:08:04)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

ebony and ivory *
by ACross  (2019-08-23 11:48:57)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post