It may be a matter of time frame/University plan
by Father Nieuwland (2019-08-23 16:44:25)

In reply to: not true - suggest you go back to your source *  posted by ironcitydomer

I have been told that the long range plans have Keenan and Stanford being leveled. I cannot imagine Carrol would be left standing longer than those two.

Do all of the current official long range plans include leaving Carrol Hall in place?

But again, long range planning is long range and future plans are always subject to change.

Nooooo!
by maniactranspodriver  (2019-08-23 22:28:26)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Keenan walls are stronger than that of the Wall guarding the seven Kingdoms of Westeros. I guess Stanford will stand too and I'm okay with that. Perhaps the wreckingball will bounce off and will make Zahm crumble for the better of the campus.

The 2017 version of the Campus Plan...
by Kbyrnes  (2019-08-23 19:24:40)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

...which is the latest one published, shows a "Long Term Plan" on the last two pages of text (numbered pages 20 and 21). Carroll still appears (see the aerial view map on the right side of page 20), but that doesn't assure its survival.

The long term plans foresee clusters of buildings in the north and northeast portions of campus, where there are currently a lot of parking lots and open space. Under "Planning Guidelines," numbered page 7, the Campus Plan states,

"Undergraduate residence halls will be clustered to create communities and located to balance the campus around its historic core. The planning for future buildings will strive to achieve multifunctional spaces in order to promote a sense of community and interaction among the faculty, students and staff."

Carroll's isolated location is not planned to become one of the building area clusters shown for the north and northeast areas, which I think may portend its eventual demise, unless it gets repurposed somehow. It's hard to imagine it as classrooms or administrative space, notwithstanding the conversions of Flanner and Grace years ago.

Campus Plan 2017

Kbyrnes, on page 11 in the 1975 map, what's the building...
by gond79  (2019-08-23 22:59:07)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

on the west side of Notre Dame Ave, south of the Morris Inn?

I'd forgotten how much open space there was between the Post Office-University Club-CCE and the Stadium.

I believe that's a mapmaker's error...
by Kbyrnes  (2019-08-24 09:20:43)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

...because it's the current bookstore (you can see it also in the 2000 and 2017 maps with the same shape), which was built in 1998. That area was all open field or parking lot.

I think you're correct. Thinking back, there were a couple..
by gond79  (2019-08-24 10:23:49)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

of holes on Burke Memorial between the Morris Inn and Cedar Grove along Notre Dame Ave.

The Gate 14 parking lot ... that’s where my parents and
by JC  (2019-08-24 07:31:11)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

their friends tailgated. When I was in college, they always said, “meet you at gate 14.” Always knew where to find them.