Title / resume question
by OCND (2019-09-21 16:00:43)

I have been at my present company for 5 years. I was hired in with the title of Manager. Although my boss, who has a high opinion of himself and is known to be stingy, promoted me to Director level pay grade, he only gave me the title Senior Manager. Additionally, I receive all the short and long term incentives at Director level. I’m at the point in my career where I’m ready to start looking at VP positions by experience and accomplishment.

My question is this: How much of a hindrance will the lack of Director title be in this endeavor, and if so, is it unethical to use the title Director on my resume, considering I’m effectively one as related to compensation? I feel that if I’m relegated to searching for Director positions, I’m in for a lateral move at best, particularly in salary.

Better than director: bo staff skills
by OGerry  (2019-09-22 21:02:08)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Aren't they updating Coming to America? You'll see.

Agree not to embellish. But more importantly, resume writing
by tar  (2019-09-22 15:16:03)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Has fundamentally changed since I built my first one. I recently went through a job search and had the good fortune to have a professional resume writer review My resume and guide me through a complete rewrite. If your resume was built a while ago and you have not significantly changed it in the last ten years, I would strongly encourage you to do so. The primary reason for this is the proliferation of applicant tracking systems. A resume built to be compatible with an ATS can be the difference between a phone screen and an automated rejection.

Remember that this can be an honest answer to ...
by Barney68  (2019-09-22 09:42:37)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

the "why are you looking" question. Include your concern that your boss' approach may be limiting your career path in a way that makes it clear that it's not the word you're concerned about, it's how it will affect you in five years. Is he maneuvering to make it just a little harder for you to find the next step on the ladder?

Follow the advice below about how to say what your responsibilities are as a method for getting the point across that you have the job without the title.

Other than that, don't lie on a resume. Little to win, lots to lose.

It would be better to have the title.
by URwhatUR  (2019-09-22 09:11:30)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

If you haven't done so yet, present the facts about your proven success in the role and request the title to match. Now that he knows you can perform at that level, he should be ok matching the title to the responsibilities. While I may not be motivated by titles personally, they do position people in the minds of clients, vendors, and industry when pitching, serving, negotiating.

Do not lie on the resume. Instead, say something like, "Directs the blah blah team in serving blah blah, an increase of blah blah since blah."

Good luck!

A tip on asking for the title you deserve
by CulliganMan  (2019-09-23 12:05:06)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

My wife went through this not too long ago. All of the incentives and responsibilities were at a level higher than her job title. HR manager would always fall back on "We pay you well. Why do you need a title change unless you are intending to leave?"

Her response was that, internally, she does not get the respect and trust from her colleagues (specifically those that are not in her direct group) that should come along with the better title, and it makes it more difficult to get things done. Externally, people are receiving communications from a more junior employee than a relationship as important as their's calls for, and it could hurt the business.

She's not looking to leave, and everything she said was true. She got the better title in the next round of promotions.

I guess the tip is to look for non-pay related reasons for a better title and highlight those to the people making the decision. Best to be proactive on stuff like this so when it does come time to look elsewhere, all of the pieces are in place.

Good Luck!

Well, Mr. O'Leary, let me see that CV *
by ndhouston  (2019-09-21 23:48:23)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Excellent reference *
by Raoul  (2019-09-23 09:09:51)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

What field?
by mikeman  (2019-09-21 22:48:22)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

It matters.

Just put down that you are the inventor of the question mark *
by Frank Drebin  (2019-09-21 16:50:14)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Don’t put Director on your resume. That could be a disaster.
by ndwifemom  (2019-09-21 16:41:59)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

You would be lying.

In your description of your responsibilities in your resume and in your cover letter make clear that you had the responsibilities and perks of a Director. Lots of ways to phrase it. For example:

Although my title is Senior Manager, I have the duties and responsibilities usually associated with a Director’s role including......

Good luck.

Heed this advice
by GU82ND4ever  (2019-09-21 17:36:59)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

You would be misstating your title and could be called on it if an employer calls your boss for a reference. Better to address it as ndwifemom suggests and discuss your increasing responsibilities over time in an interview as well as in your resume and cover letter.

Good luck!

Agreed. *
by G.K.Chesterton  (2019-09-21 20:13:26)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post