A greater Rohr is coming...
by Kbyrnes (2019-10-17 12:14:34)
Edited on 2019-10-17 12:15:53

...On campus to pick up our daughter for break, I stopped at Rohr's for a bowl of their ham hock and bean soup. Sorin's will close right after the VA Tech game, then Rohr's closes after the last home game.

Full interior demolition and rebuild will result in one combined bar and restaurant in the current space of Sorin's and Rohr's, expanded by 16 feet west of Sorin's current window line. It will reopen in April as Rohr's.

It should be called Murph's *
by dinger9927  (2019-10-17 15:39:48)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Murf's *
by mintirish  (2019-10-17 19:18:26)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Fat Eddie had petitioned to have it called “The Towel Room”
by Frank Drebin  (2019-10-17 16:40:28)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Fat Eddie envisioned a place where guys could just drop everything and let it all hang out

They ruined Sorin’s with the overambitious menu and higher
by ndwifemom  (2019-10-17 14:01:35)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

prices. I was told faculty and admins stopped going there for lunch and dinner. We were there a few years ago for a hockey/basketball weekend. Had a reservation at Sorin’s. We and a couple of other groups waited 30 minutes to be seated when the place was not half full. Poorly managed and average food.

Is that Rohr as in the former PNC CEO? *
by Irishted  (2019-10-17 13:17:52)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Yes. He donated 700 tickets to the New Mexico game
by irishnyer  (2019-10-17 14:00:52)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

to the Pittsbugh Alumni Club.

Legends Bar should also be redesigned and expanded. *
by hibernianangst  (2019-10-17 12:59:29)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

...and honor my "lifetime" membership card to Senior Bar *
by wildesilas  (2019-10-17 13:52:56)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I still have my Senior Bar card. I met my Wife
by 1978Irish  (2019-10-17 16:20:48)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

in the old Senior Bar. I wonder if we could donate money to rebuild the old Senior Bar/House.

My my lifetime of free drinks as a former bartender *
by ndaero93  (2019-10-17 14:36:05)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Yep
by HTownND  (2019-10-17 13:59:09)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Those snakes

Looking pretty stale after 2 years?
by mintirish  (2019-10-17 12:27:37)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Why would they possibly do this after just re-doing the entire Morris Inn? What am I missing?

by two years you mean six?
by fontoknow  (2019-10-17 12:34:36)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

and almost 7 full football seasons?

They're doing it because they think dining preferences have changed and they can make more money...

How have dining preferences changed?
by ACross  (2019-10-17 13:07:56)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

What will people prefer?

Now, I never thought the menu at Rohr's what all that great (the wine choices were pretty damned good). But I don't expect the changes will go upmarket. So long as they get rid of the Irish food that will at least be welcome.

Rohr's is going up market
by fontoknow  (2019-10-17 13:09:35)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

but won't be as upmarket as Sorin's was.

The last time I had dinner at Sorins, there three other tables being served. Pricing was equivalent of Navarre, LaSalle, and Ruth's Chris.

Probably - I can't keep track of time
by mintirish  (2019-10-17 12:40:00)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Still seems a little nuts to me to blow it all up so soon after a major remodel.

A big part of the problem is the dinky under 21 space
by crazychester  (2019-10-17 13:05:36)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

at the front of Rohrs. Useless in quieter times, Too small and isolated when it gets busy.

The existing spaces simply don't work very well.
by voidoid  (2019-10-17 13:20:33)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I know (and trust) the interior designers working on the remodel, and have seen the design - it is a huge improvement. They do phenomenal hotel and F&B work.

I know theyve worked with some of the people
by crazychester  (2019-10-17 15:02:25)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

who did Berckman's at Augusta. That would be pretty nice

They also need to improve and expand the Rohr’s menu. *
by ndwifemom  (2019-10-17 14:08:31)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Capitulating on "fine dinning"
by fontoknow  (2019-10-17 12:18:31)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I'm not sure where Monk will go for his daily lunch.

meaning they will be moving toward it or away from it? *
by ACross  (2019-10-17 13:08:30)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

What does capitulation mean to you? *
by fontoknow  (2019-10-17 13:10:25)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post