Take the train instead
by WilfordBrimley (2019-10-17 17:16:47)

In reply to: Drive from Chicago to Evanston  posted by BuckeyeJohn05

Purple line or UP-N up to Evanston.

Traffic will not be fun near the stadium for that game, and even on a good day, it's 30 - 40 minutes up Lakeshore and the back roads between LSD and campus.

This is the correct answer.
by Domer84  (2019-10-17 17:41:16)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Purple line El stops at Central St. 3 blocks east of the stadium.

The Metra North line (commuter train) also stops at Central 2 blocks west of the stadium.

Do not drive.

I'd vote for the Metra
by HTownND  (2019-10-17 17:42:41)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Over the El

Mostly because you can drink on Metra.

Plus, it's one train, no switches.

Depending on where he's staying he may have to change trains a few times to get to the purple line.

Coldest night of my life was waiting at Howard Road
by Barrister  (2019-10-18 00:29:49)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

station for an hour at 3am on New Years for the damn purple line when I lived in Evanston. Loved my tiny apartment at Hinman and Main though. The elevators not so much.

It may be against the law to drink on the L
by miamioh_irishfan  (2019-10-17 19:24:30)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

but it's not really against the law.

Maybe, but I’ve commuted via L for nearly 3 years...
by revressbo  (2019-10-17 19:50:51)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

and take it semi-frequently outside of to/from work, and I can count on only one hand the number of times I’ve seen a person drinking on the L. That includes the homeless/mentally ill.

Of course, one of those few times was a bunch of ND fans on the red line (prior to transfer to purple) up to Evanston for the ND-Northwestern game last year, so...