for the 'Home Alone' nerds
by ndlarryj (2019-12-17 22:37:17)

like me who will watch it a few times between Thanksgiving and Christmas:

its documentary episode on Netflix in the "The Movies That Made Us" series is well worth a viewing. enjoy!

I noticed one of the editors is a Notre Dame Film grad.
by lucky finbar  (2019-12-18 10:22:11)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I noticed because he is my son.

That's super cool, congratulations! *
by jerseyirish07  (2019-12-18 13:00:47)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Ohh good for you *
by Allumeuse  (2019-12-18 10:49:58)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

That’s awesome, which one? *
by DBCooper  (2019-12-18 10:24:02)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

The entire series. *
by lucky finbar  (2019-12-18 11:19:52)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Please tell him to keep doing more
by DBCooper  (2019-12-18 13:46:13)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

And if they need some recommendations, I’m sure the BR can oblige,

Is there a documentary on "Home Stallone" too?
by Keenan4w  (2019-12-18 10:15:23)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

The house's Zillow listing appears to be hijacked
by rflor  (2019-12-18 08:43:46)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Makes a whole bunch of silly Home Alone references. Unless the owners have a really good sense of humor, I'm thinking someone else claimed it.

I'm still engrossed in Shameless. *
by cincysubdomer  (2019-12-18 03:56:56)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Is it the same narrator for each episode of
by Johnnysalami  (2019-12-18 02:40:49)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

the series? I almost turned off the Ghostbusters episode due to that dork.

Otherwise it was good.

unfort, yes. and agreed. he's super lame. *
by ndlarryj  (2019-12-18 22:34:48)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

All 4 are pretty good. For Xmas fans, the Die Hard doc
by DBCooper  (2019-12-17 22:38:30)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Is pretty interesting too

Of the 4, I thought the Dirty Dancing one was the best
by Allumeuse  (2019-12-18 10:56:07)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

The woman who wrote the screenplay was a delight and possibly is my new spirit animal.

I will say that I have noticed that between this and the TTMU series as well, they don't do gender balance well. It is like 3 for boys, 1 for girls, or 2 for boys, 1 for girls, 1 that is maybe gender neutral.

I would like another installment to be more 50-50. A lot about Die Hard was already known so it wasn't that interesting to me, but you almost never hear about how some of these female led movies get made.

I mean, I would love to see them do When Harry Met Sally. If only to have Rob Reiner talk about Nora Ephron.

One of my weird habits
by DBCooper  (2019-12-18 11:45:22)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Is to read IMBD trivia of movies after I watch them. I find a lot of the stories and interesting tidbits of making a movie interesting. One of the reasons why I enjoyed this doc series.

But there is some good stuff on IMDB. Like Tom Hanks was the first choice for Billy Crystals character, or the segments of married couples telling the stories of how they met are real stories that director Rob Reiner collected for the film. The actors related the stories.

One day LL will ask a series of questions about weird movie trivia and I will finally feel like all my pointless reading was for something.

I hope I am not against you that day then
by Allumeuse  (2019-12-18 12:54:39)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I still just want Reiner to tell me what that lunch at the Russian Tea Room where he and Nora came up with the idea was like.

Somewhat similar with Raiders of the Lost Ark
by DBCooper  (2019-12-18 13:23:44)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I rewatched Raiders over the weekend late at night while I was having trouble sleeping and I found these few nuggets about the movie.

Traditionally when one of his films is about to open, George Lucas goes on vacation to get away from all the hoopla. As Star Wars: Episode IV - A New Hope (1977) was just about to open, Lucas went to Hawaii where he was joined by Steven Spielberg. When the grosses for Lucas's film came in and it was clear it was going to be a hit, Lucas relaxed and was able to discuss other topics with his friend. It was at this point that Spielberg confessed he always wanted to direct a James Bond film, to which Lucas replied he had a much better idea, an adventure movie called "Raiders of the Lost Ark". The conversation happened while the two were making a sand castle. After their trip, they got together and developed the script with Lawrence Kasdan.

Me - how would you have liked to been on a beach making a sandcastle with Lucas and Spielberg and the idea of Raiders of the Lost Ark is first brought up.

Also...

Despite having the dream team of George Lucas and Steven Spielberg behind the film, it was initially turned down by every studio in Hollywood. Only after much persuasion did Paramount agree to do it.

Me - so the creator of Star Wars and the director of Jaws and Close Encounters tell you they want to do a movie together and studios tell them no? That just sounds insane

Other notes
Tom Selleck was Lucas’ first choice for Indiana. That’s pretty well known, but I didn’t know Danny Devito was first choice to play Sallah. Selleck and Devito running around Egypt would have been an interesting pair.

George Lucas made what was at the time an unusual deal for this film. The studio financed the film's entire $18 million budget. In exchange, Lucas would own over forty percent of the film, and collect almost half of the profits after the studio grossed a certain amount. It turned out to be a very lucrative deal for Lucas. How can a guy who was so smart and savvy on Star Wars and Indiana be so dumb about Jar Jar and Hayden?

I love the DVD box set of those movies
by Irish_Texan  (2019-12-18 15:14:17)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Great little documentary on making the film with all of those stories you related, as well as Tom Selleck's screen test with Sean Young.