NYC always seems an outlier with these measurements
by goirish89 (2020-02-28 17:58:02)

In reply to: Obesity rates are highly variable by state  posted by Allumeuse

I know from my visits there that obesity _seems_ to be rare. In general, there's much more walking and activity than the average city. I always notice the general lack of the obese when I'm there.

Where I currently live (peninsular Maryland) the opposite is true. I'm considered somewhat freakish with a 5'11" 165 lb frame. Most here are huge and I mean HUGE. Indiana was the same as was North Carolina. There are wide swaths of this country that are awash in people who get out of breath walking from their car to the store, even if they park in handicapped parking. It's frightening.

From what I’ve seen Manhattan and parts of Brooklyn are
by beancounter  (2020-02-28 18:13:41)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

the outliers. People is the less affluent areas are less thin.

Affluence has a strong correlation IMO.
by Irish Tool  (2020-02-28 19:47:46)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

The two anecdotes in my world:

At daycare, the parents are under 40% and the staff is over 40%. Not an expensive daycare or affluent neighborhood, so it's not a stark contrast, but it's there.

In my last law firm, 10% of the 40 attorneys were obese. Easily over 40% of the 50 staff were. Very stark contrast.

Edit: forgot a couple fat partners.

Bingo. Look at the Bronx.
by EricCartman  (2020-02-28 18:34:12)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

The contrast is striking.

Dude. Have a milkshake. *
by The Holtz Room  (2020-02-28 18:07:10)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post