Quick PSA re: Groceries - especially delivery or pickup
by 88_92WSND (2020-07-02 08:56:06)

Check for infestations and the like before bringing them in the house. We've had a couple of items (from different chains) recently:

Bag of carrots with one of the carrots rotten and growing mold

Bag of hot dog rolls which turned out to have wheat mites - which we unfortunately discovered AFTER it sat on our shelf for two days, so are now in the process of trying to eradicate.

Funny story.
by doolinbanjos  (2020-07-02 11:29:18)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

My wife... Let's call her Karen... used one of those shopping services for a while. During the hard lockdown, when things were not always available, the shopper would message that she couldn't find this or that, and was substituting. My wife, Karen, started to treat the shopper like her personal servant, making her check for this or that alternative substitute, asking a million questions, you know, like I was the one doing the shopping for her.

One time Karen was on the app, and the shopper stopped responding. Instead, Karen kept getting messages: "Out of eggs"; "Out of pickles"; "Out of cheese" - all the things that were already in the basket were being taken out. Karen was flummoxed. "She already had these things in the basket - how can they be out of them???" I had to explain to her that the shopper was actually flipping her the bird. (Think Bill Murray driving his cab in the beginning of Stripes). Apparently, not everyone wants to be micromanaged while out braving Covid doing Karen's dirty work.

We've done our own shopping since then.

This post has not received the recognition it deserves. *
by Bluntschli  (2020-07-02 12:06:15)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

thank you for brining it to my attention. I agree *
by ndaero93  (2020-07-02 12:28:35)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Stories like this are why I won’t get grocery delivery *
by vermin05  (2020-07-02 09:43:29)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

You still have to check - the only difference is that
by 88_92WSND  (2020-07-02 10:55:13)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

you're checking at home -- checking before putting it on the shelf vs in your cart. We had no problem getting credit for the carrots - didn't bother on the buns.

Never had a single issue
by wcnitz  (2020-07-02 10:02:59)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

With Instacart at Costco or Shipt at Meijer.

Only a shitty shopper would pick out spoiled or bad food.

Second this. I want to select my own produce/fresh food
by ndaero93  (2020-07-02 09:53:21)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

We've used Amazon Fresh for a few things, but it has been canned goods and cleaning supplies. I'm too picky about meat and produce to allow someone else to get it for me.

Agreed. Although a cashier at my Fairway said a few weeks
by ndwifemom  (2020-07-02 10:00:16)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

ago,that 90% of the shoppers were from Instacart. It was noticeable in the store. Shoppers were all,young, staring at their phones. A couple seemed to be doing multiple orders at one time using color coded bags for the different orders.