Older homes are beautiful but pricey to maintain.
by thecontrarian (click here to email the poster) (2020-08-07 13:52:27)
Edited on 2020-08-07 13:53:11

In reply to: Homeowners, what do you hate about owning a home?  posted by gregmorrissey

My Queen Anne Victorian looked beautiful at Christmas time but there was always something breaking, leaking or just throwing money out of the chimney, windows, etc.

I pay far less every month in rent/utilities on my apt than I did when I had a mortgage/property tax bill and would find problems in my house every month. Many of those problems were pricey.

I don't think I'd want to be a homeowner again.

Oh boy. Anything more than changing a lightbulb
by Termini  (2020-08-07 16:23:24)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

is a potential adventure.

Very true
by DBCooper  (2020-08-07 14:09:42)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

My house was built in the 1880s. Built well considering but there is always something new to deal with

This.
by CMillar  (2020-08-07 14:03:38)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

There's always something to fix or replace, and none of it ends up being cheap.

Regular maintenance can be sort of a pain and there are likely systems or things you've never thought about that will require regular service every 1/2/3 years. Many of these can be specific to your home and you may not even know they exist unless the seller/builder told you about them or it breaks and the service person discovers it and tells you about it.

And some projects can easily snowball. "Hey, I want to replace these skylights" suddenly turns into "no one will replace skylights in a roof older than 15 years, so here comes a new roof, and, oh, may as well replace the gutters while you're doing the roof", and so on.