There is always something to maintain, fix, or renovate
by Jimbo Irish (2020-08-07 14:01:11)

In reply to: Homeowners, what do you hate about owning a home?  posted by gregmorrissey

Beyond just normal maintenance like lawn care, cleaning, and general upkeep, I think most first time homeowners underestimate just how constantly they'll have to dish out for repairs or to replace key components of the house.

Even things like painting has to happen more frequently and is pricier than most expect.

It always seems like there's some major project that needs to be addressed, whether it's replacing a failed HVAC, water heater, or other appliance, or things like garage doors that age, roofs, sidewalk and driveway repairs, etc.

It's an endless list of things that are always in need of attention.

All of this is before even considering renovations and updates to keep things looking in style.

I love having my own home even with all of the hassle and cost, but even with the tax breaks on mortgage interest and equity accumulation, I'd imagine it's a toss-up as to whether renting is the more economical choice in the long run.

My home wasn't a refuge; it was a never-ending to-do list *
by thecontrarian  (2020-08-07 21:19:30)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I would split these two out
by Tex Francisco  (2020-08-07 16:45:54)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Renovating things and making them better generally makes me happy, despite the cost. Replacing something, where I spend a truckload of money to have a house that basically stays exactly the same, is a bitter pillow to swallow.

I am the opposite.
by doolinbanjos  (2020-08-08 13:49:40)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Necessary upkeep is fine. A water heater that busted its ass for 12 years deserves to be replaced.

Renovating a perfectly functional space pisses me off. We've done a lot of it. Friends always ask how I like the new bathroom/countertops/trimwork and my answer is the same - It's as good as it was before, I guess.

Yes. It is the little things too that are a pain in
by Steelhop  (2020-08-07 14:30:27)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

ass that crop up. I don't mind some of the average every day or weekly stuff that you've built into your schedule that needs to get done - like mowing the lawn or something like that. It is that little crap that pops up and throws the entire schedule out of whack or something that needs to be fixed but it is too small to hire someone but too unusual or prominent that you can't just superglue or duct tape.

Yep- it never ends and tasks always take me forever
by garbageplate  (2020-08-07 14:18:22)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Most tasks take me twice as long as I expect and I accomplish about half of what I intend to complete.

This is it for me.
by Shifty  (2020-08-07 14:16:52)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

The drip drip drip of repairs, small and large, I am faced with every year.

My house is about 100 years old. So I live with the cumulative choices of owners past. Some were conscientious about maintenance and quality work, and others most certainly were not.

This summer / fall I will have major work done outside because the 'hardscape' (stairs, retaining walls, etc.) is falling apart. That is not hyperbole.

And when you think, 'phew, that will hold it for a while' something else breaks and the cycle repeats.

Fully agree.
by bc_nd  (2020-08-07 14:14:24)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

And finding decent contractors/handymen to take on the small-ish projects that you don't feel comfortable with can be equally as challenging.

I would disagree it’s a toss up between renting and owning
by DBCooper  (2020-08-07 14:11:29)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

But a lot depends on your house, location of property, etc.

This is it. *
by TWO  (2020-08-07 14:09:01)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I echo all of this. *
by doolinbanjos  (2020-08-07 14:04:56)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post