The battle against entropy.
by Milhouse (2020-08-07 20:16:30)

In reply to: Homeowners, what do you hate about owning a home?  posted by gregmorrissey

Everything is trying to destroy the house -- the sun, the rain, the snow and ice, the hail, the wind, the animals... Owning a home is a constant battle to stay one step ahead of those things.

Perfect. *
by Giggity_Giggity  (2020-08-08 09:10:02)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Perfect description
by Thedeanswift  (2020-08-07 21:02:23)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Of course I expected repairs to be needed along the way after buying a 32 yr old house, though I was utterly unprepared for the frequency with which things can go wrong. But it is the unpredictability of it all that can be soul crushing. E.g. roof starts leaking the night before a road trip. Spending the first half of the Super Bowl in our crawl space working on the furnace, etc

You need to place this by your front door...
by Kbyrnes  (2020-08-07 20:33:23)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

...or maybe just hang it in your garage:

Ain't that the truth.
by Milhouse  (2020-08-07 21:52:31)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Every time I turn around, there's something new. And most of the time, it's very minor stuff. Maybe it's a chipmunk hole near the foundation. Maybe it's some new wood rot, or some peeling paint. Maybe a towel bar is starting to come loose. Maybe the faucet is dripping. Maybe the toilet is running very slightly.

It's not that it's big stuff; it's just that it never ends.

Now, I like fixing things. I take pride in being able to do it myself most of the time. But there are times when I just need a break.

A great way to phrase the basic "fun" of ownership *
by Raoul  (2020-08-07 20:18:14)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post