Any thoughts on King's College and particularly their
by Irish Tool (click here to email the poster) (2020-08-10 09:39:52)
Edited on 2020-08-10 09:41:07

3+2 year program crossing over with ND (or WashU) engineering? Program description linked. I see that they increased the GPA requirements starting last fall, so I don't know if it was too popular or ND engineering is getting full or what.

My nephew is a HS senior and intrigued by the program. He doesn't have a lot of criteria to sort among the myriad schools out there, so I think the 3+2 program sounds like an interesting opportunity to shoot for capping his college years. His general criteria are schools within a 4ish hour radius of Philadelphia where he has the opportunity to play soccer or baseball, so King's fits that bill. He's not sold on engineering but is interested. 3.9 GPA and he'll finish in Calc B/C, so he has the technical chops.

One piece of advice from a recent grad
by JackDB  (2020-08-10 11:01:26)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Make sure your nephew would actually be happy at the university even if he chose to deviate from engineering (and therefore, I think, this 3+2 plan). If he is interested in playing college athletics as you say, that probably goes a long way. But being academically happy is also important.

I say this as someone who was also interested in engineering and also has the technical chops (I'm a mathematician now); it is different from any type of science or math you find in high school and it is really difficult to gauge if it will be a good fit. It was a horrible fit for me, and I gave it up after my first semester. Talking to actual engineers in various disciplines would be a concrete and productive way to overcome this.

Cambridge is not within a 4-hour radius of Philly
by ndtnguy  (2020-08-10 10:44:05)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

But King's College is supposed to be pretty nice. At least the choir sounds good at Christmas.

You know he means the CSC-run college in Wilkes-Barre, PA? *
by Rockbrig97  (2020-08-10 11:23:31)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I thought
by ndtnguy  (2020-08-10 11:31:31)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

that my answer was sufficiently absurd to make that clear.

I've lost all ability to decipher sarcasm
by Rockbrig97  (2020-08-10 12:12:37)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

over these last 5-6 months. I'm certainly certain I can't appreciate it anymore.