I assume they turn faster.
by Domer84 (2020-11-25 11:39:30)

In reply to: Given the hydrofoil technology, does the hull ...  posted by Barney68

As a rule, a monohull boat will turn faster than a multi-hull boat. This is because the monohull is pivoting a single hull through the water while a multi-hull boat, say a catamaran, is turning extra hulls around a pivot point. Harder to get the nose around.

I say this as an old Laser and Hobie Cat sailor. The technology is so far beyond me now that I don't know if those rules apply. I would assume that they must in some fashion since the boats drop speed to make hard tack and the hulls drop back in the water, correct?

Here's a video of how these things turn.
by grnd  (2020-11-25 12:06:57)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

This is in very light air, which makes what these boats are doing very impressive. The video comes complete with cheesy music, so feel free to mute your speakers.

No, they can tack and gybe while staying up on the foils. *
by HoundDog1973  (2020-11-25 11:44:13)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post