2nd. I don't understand why this is so difficult.
by ndroman21 (2021-04-15 15:21:19)
Edited on 2021-04-15 15:21:34

In reply to: I'd be interested to hear the reasons.  posted by FaytlND

Government officials shouldn't be making recommendations based on things they don't know. Since we don't know yet if vaccinated people can still carry and transmit COVID-19, we need to continue reasonable precautions.

what's the hypothesis?
by flapjack  (2021-04-15 15:40:01)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

When in the history of earth have immunized people not gotten sick but transmitted the disease? I'm no biologist, but this seems to be a bizarre hypothesis.

I'm worried we are worrying about an edge case.

I don't care where we draw the line, but we need to define a level of risk we can live with. At that point, we need to judge potential contributors vs that risk line.

See my response above. *
by ndroman21  (2021-04-15 15:56:00)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I learned somethign new today.
by flapjack  (2021-04-15 16:14:52)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I didn't realize that there were vaccines that protects against the disease but not against transmission.

I wish this article gave better examples (e.g. rotovirus is still thwarted by 90%), but this is a phenomenon that we need to understand.

Rats.

In an ideal world, all vaccines would induce sterilising immunity. In reality, it is actually extremely difficult to produce vaccines that stop virus infection altogether. Most vaccines that are in routine use today do not achieve this. For example, vaccines targeting rotavirus, a common cause of diarrhoea in infants, are only capable of preventing severe disease. But this has still proven invaluable in controlling the virus. In the US, there has been almost 90% fewer cases of rotavirus-associated hospital visits since the vaccine was introduced in 2006. A similar situation occurs with the current poliovirus vaccines, yet there is hope this virus could be eradicated globally.

I think it's likely that COVID transmission is reduced...
by ndroman21  (2021-04-15 17:01:29)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I mean, if the virus can't replicate enough to create symptoms, someone can't be shedding as much as someone who is coughing and sneezing out copies of the virus, right?

That is speculation on my part, though, and I don't have a problem with continuing to wear a mask until science is able to prove it out.

That should not have been the hypothesis needing refutation
by NavyJoe  (2021-04-15 15:39:44)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

That is fear mongering.

No, it's science.
by ndroman21  (2021-04-15 15:46:50)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

A virus does not die instantly because it comes into contact with a vaccinated person. It still enters the body, but is quickly fought off by that person's immune system.

Is that person shedding virus that can be transmitted to others during that time period? We don't know yet.

Why? It wasn't part of the clinical trials, because they were concerned with quickly determining efficacy and safety.

Why is it so freaking difficult to continue to wear a mask for a couple more months?

I'm fine wearing a mask while we figure this out.
by Tex Francisco  (2021-04-15 16:08:04)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I'm not fine keeping kids out of school and extracurricular activities and shutting down large portions of the economy while we confirm what seems an almost certainty. The goal is to reduce the risks to an acceptable level, not to 0, and I feel like we've done that.

Mostly agree. We're getting closer each day.
by ndroman21  (2021-04-15 16:17:08)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Opening up the vaccine to all is awesome, but it will take weeks or months for that to reduce spread.

Even if we could somehow vaccinate everyone tomorrow, we'd be 14 days out from partial protection and 4-5 weeks from full protection. Reality is that this will be staggered, and we have to get enough of the population on board.

I thought this discussion was about vaccinated people continuing to wear masks to prevent spread. Not about keeping kids out of school or business restrictions.

The issues are linked
by NavyJoe  (2021-04-15 16:21:20)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

School districts and the local governments that regulate business are going to be influenced by what the CDC says.

CDC issues guidance on multiple issues concurrently.
by ndroman21  (2021-04-15 16:24:25)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I don't see how a recommendation to continue wearing masks becomes a recommendation to shut down schools or businesses.

They've issued guidance on those issues separately.

As a Californian, I'd like to know that too. Yet here...
by NavyJoe  (2021-04-15 16:28:12)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

...we are, with the school districts planning for Hybrid Learning next year.

Isn't that a California problem,
by FaytlND  (2021-04-15 18:27:53)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

(or more specifically, a local school district issue) and not a CDC/Fauci issue?

Yes *
by NavyJoe  (2021-04-15 18:34:06)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Are they planning for ONLY hybrid learning?
by ndroman21  (2021-04-15 16:32:37)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Or are ther preparing for the possibility of hybrid learning because there's the possibility that herd immunity will not happen by fall?

Or that there are still parents who will not be comfortable sending their unvaccinated children to school, and those kids need to get some sort of education as well?

My kids' district here in IL went back full last week (3 days after I contracted COVID, unfortunately, so my kids are still in isolation after I passed it to them), but there are still kids that are full remote, and there are still accommodations being made for kids', like mine, that are in quarantine or isolation.

Next week can't come soon enough.

I didn't say it was difficult; I said it was unnecessary
by NavyJoe  (2021-04-15 15:52:08)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

If the CDC were truly concerned with this, they wouldn't have reversed their stance on vaccinated people traveling or meeting in groups. This is an overly conservative approach that will do more harm than good.

I don't see how that's relevant.
by ndroman21  (2021-04-15 16:02:59)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

They are recommending that fully vaccinated people can meet with other fully vaccinated people OR small groups of people from a single household that are low risk.

Those are very different situations from a large public setting from a standpoint of virus spread.

The travel recommendation is new to me. I didn't realize anyone was barred from domestic travel.

The CDC has said non-vaccinated people should not travel
by NavyJoe  (2021-04-15 16:25:58)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

The CDC says vaccinated people can travel, do not need to self-quarantine, etc.

Well, if only vaccinated people are travelling...
by ndroman21  (2021-04-15 16:33:46)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

...then there isn't much risk, is there?

Ha, true I suppose
by NavyJoe  (2021-04-15 16:50:57)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

But that doesn't account for all the other interactions one has while moving beyond their bubble.