Why didn’t we just let it burn through originally?
by DakotaDomer (2021-08-02 11:33:53)
Edited on 2021-08-02 11:34:58

In reply to: Re: the increase in Covid and reinstated distancing/masks  posted by mocopdx

Because it leads to more sickness, more death, and more community spread. At some point we need to seriously use the tools at our disposal to reduce community spread down to a manageable number. We then need to implement enough contact tracing for people to actually make the right personal decisions off good info.

This summer didn’t have to happen. We didn’t have to declare victory over masks as if they were the enemy. If we focused our efforts on stopping the virus and not stopping restrictions - none of this had to happen. (Alternatively we could have made it to 90-95% vaccine adoption and stopped it too)

We screwed up - and now we’re going to need more restrictions - because it’s fairly clear that 90+% immunity will not be permanent and if we have a virus present in 1% of the U.S. population on any given day…it will never, ever, go away. A pandemic that lasts 20 years will end up with a lot more deaths than one that lasts 1 or 2.

most experts believe it will be around for 5-10 years.
by 84david  (2021-08-02 12:08:56)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

even with high vaccination rates, it will at least be endemic.

To wait for vaccines, no?
by mocopdx  (2021-08-02 11:41:54)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

And to your overall point, I don’t disagree, really, but as you allude to, there is basically no shot that this pandemic ever goes away based on a number of factors. So how long are we meant to do this whack-a-mole game considering Covid is likely going to exist forever? I know in a perfect world we would have a 100% vaccination rate but at this point even 80% looks like a pipe dream.

Replace "Covid" with "cancer" or "heart disease"...
by Kbyrnes  (2021-08-02 12:41:44)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

...We've been applying new therapies, as they've been approved, for decade after decade after decade. Gradually, though not in a straight line, we've improved therapeutic approaches to cancer and heart disease, but they are still significant killers.

I'd say that if trying to address a disease with one, then another, and then another and another and another approach is "whack-a-mole," then modern medicine has been whacking moles for a long, long time, and I don't see a better system unless God, or the supervising aliens, come down and give us the perfect answers.

Now, if by "whack-a-mole" you are strictly referring to the public health approaches that involve distancing and masking (and perhaps even a return to shutdowns), that's a harder one to pin down, because we generally haven't had to enact these measures in anyone's lifetime. I'm 66 and sure don't recall anything like this. But if the boat you're in keeps springing leaks, sometimes you just have to keep bailing.