No. Your 1st post is the reason.
by Steelhop (2021-08-02 12:51:30)

In reply to: That’s because it showed vaccinated sick people can infect  posted by vermin05

And I quote " It was sex. Don’t have sex with and French kiss a Covid positive person." On July 1st, the 7 day moving average of cases in all of Massachusetts was 61. So all of Massachusetts much less P-Town was not in the high or substantial high part of the country back on July 4th - so in other words under the nonsense CDC guidelines they wouldn't have had to wear masks anyway.

But, that calls out questionable behavior in specific demographic that might partake in riskier behavior than others. Just better to force everyone to wear masks inside and not delineate the two issues.

The CDC was pretty clear that it was the
by SUJB9  (2021-08-02 13:18:58)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

ability of vaccinated people to transmit that led to the change in recommendations:

“This finding is concerning and was a pivotal discovery leading to CDC’s updated mask recommendation,” CDC Director Rochelle Walensky said in a statement released on Friday. “The masking recommendation was updated to ensure the vaccinated public would not unknowingly transmit virus to others, including their unvaccinated or immunocompromised loved ones.”

That’s how they got it, but that’s not the important part
by vermin05  (2021-08-02 13:04:08)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Why we vaccinated people don’t have to worry about vaccine escape is because the reason so many vaccinated people got sick was they engaged in the riskiest activity known. The OP was concerned about what this meant for them, my first post was soothing their fear.

My reply to your post stands though, no matter how you get it, if you get it, your as infectious as a non vaxxed individual. Remember the whole my mask protects you thing? We need to protect the vulnerable (children, immunosuppressed people, not antivaxxers) from the disease. When there is such a high amount of community spread their is a higher chance of a vaxxed person getting Covid (it’s 10x less but it’s not zero) that’s why the mask thing is in place.

So let's go through your 2nd paragraph
by Steelhop  (2021-08-02 13:29:04)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

--no matter how you get it, if you get it, your as infectious as a non vaxxed individual--

That hasn't been established. What has been established is that a rejected study comparing the viral loads in India showing comparable viral loads for those that have been vaccinated with vaccine that isn't available in the US (Sinovac?) is comparable to a nonvaccinated. Viral load while important doesn't establish the total story on infectiousness. Typically, viral load is used to monitor therapy/recovery and doesn't expressly provide infectiousness ability.

--Remember the whole my mask protects you thing? --

And? All that does is create the basis for several arguments
1) Why should I get vaccinated if I have to wear a mask if I am vaccinated. This gets to the off ramp from the original poster's question.
2) It creates the argument that every time a variant comes along we are going to mask up. Because if you look out in the internet there is talk of Gamma from South America. Sorry, but society isn't going to live like that even though you as an individual might.

--We need to protect the vulnerable (children, immunosuppressed people, not antivaxxers) from the disease

Children have not been an issue since the beginning and continue to not be an issue. As for immunosuppressed, we didn't think about it prior to 3/20 and we shouldn't now. Seems harsh but society is bigger than a very small segment. Sometimes you need to take your own precautions because I am generally not under a duty to protect you.

--When there is such a high amount of community spread their is a higher chance of a vaxxed person getting Covid (it’s 10x less but it’s not zero) that’s why the mask thing is in place.--

And, as I said before, this wasn't an issue in early July when events were conspiring in P-town and there wasn't a high amount of community spread so there wouldn't have been any such recommendations at that point anyway. Otherwise, your argument is we should always wear masks - regardless if there is no evidentiary support to masks actually working to do what you think masks do.

If you want to wear a mask, social distance and not generally partake in life, have at it. But, most people aren't going to agree to those position.

But, seriously, what is your off-ramp?

My off ramp is not having high or substantial spread
by vermin05  (2021-08-02 13:35:11)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

It’s simple, you don’t need a mask unless the spread in your area is high or substantial. This peak is going to crest and fall back to those levels in about 4-6 weeks max. Then you can take the mask off.

That isn't a standard. Cases aren't in any way
by Steelhop  (2021-08-02 14:44:11)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

a reliable metric of determining severity. As Mintirish noted above WRT to the CDC numbers related to "high or substantial" there are issues with that.

First, there is no evidentiary backing as to why those were picked. What if they should be lower?

Second, it doesn't take into account testing numbers. More tests, more cases.

Third, as it was originally stated way back 500+ days ago that we are doing all this to prevent overwhelming our hospitals. There has been a decoupling of cases from hospitalizations and deaths.

Lastly, said standard wouldn't have stopped the outbreak generated in P-town that was basis for the White House deciding they wanted to change the policies. As you stated above "It was sex. Don’t have sex with and French kiss a Covid positive person."

ufl's posts below say there isn't much of a decoupling.
by ndroman21  (2021-08-02 14:55:49)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

At least for hospitalizations. Since the majority of the cases are amongst the unvaccinated, this makes sense.

Do you have data that shows otherwise?

I don't know how to embed images
by Steelhop  (2021-08-02 16:17:39)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

but here you go.

Cases link from Worldmeters - https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/country/uk/

Now, look at the two peaks - the winter UK peak and the peak from late July. Top end for July cases was just under 50K daily cases. Top end for winter was 67K.

Now, look at hospitalizations.
https://ourworldindata.org/grapher/uk-daily-covid-admissions

In the winter top end of hospitalizations was about 3700. Top end of hospitalizations in July was 739 and it is already going down.

Some of it is likely due to the type of patient going into the hospital. Less elderly being ineffected.