You beg the question.
by shawno3 (2021-08-03 14:04:00)

In reply to: I disagree that it should be measured from wherever the  posted by kellykapowski

Specifically, “A main component of technique is pushing the envelope with how close to the edge of the board the athlete can jump from”. I don’t give a crap about some contrived, insular “technique”. It’s called the long jump - so who jumped the longest? All the faults made it boring.

High jump is different. There is a need to ensure that the jumper’s entire body gets over a certain height at a certain point in space, especially with the adoption of the Fosbury flop. I suppose technology could be devised to measure the highest point in free space that a jumper’s entire body clears but it would be much more complicated and non-intuitive. Pole vaulting requires a pivot point to lever the pole - it’s nothing like the other two. Measuring long jump from point to point is extremely straightforward.

I saw some weightlifting yesterday. Saw a woman lift an enormous weight over her head only to hear that judges (WTF?) had ruled that the lift didn’t count. Why the hell would judges be needed in weightlifting? It’s pretty damned easy to tell if the weight got up. I can see requiring other to be held for a couple of seconds, which this woman did. But her elbow apparently wobbled a minute amount despite objectively evidencing maintenance of the bar above her head. It takes a great deal of the fun out of the sport for the vast majority of people, except those who have made the sport part of their identity, who almost always ruin their chosen sport in an ill-advised effort to demonstrate the “beauty” and/or “nuances” of it.

It’s like all of the silly hand motions in gymnastics. My daughter is a fairly serious gymnast (light years from Olympic level) and she agrees with me that the hand waving is dumb. Judging by her consistent facial expression during the “jazz hands” portions of her routines, we think Melnikova agrees with us. Just do the actual moves - the higher the degree of difficulty the better. Require sticking the landing? Objective and makes sense. Hand waving? Perfunctory and silly.

Replies: