Agreed. It does beg the question.
by tdiddy07 (2021-08-04 10:17:31)

In reply to: You beg the question.  posted by shawno3

You rightly explain why this event is different from other events and so is possible to change the rules to accomplish what you perceive as the chief objective.

Sure the technique has been part of the sport because that's the only fair way of measuring it. But working an umpire or ref is part of a lot of sports. And I appreciate that. But in the end, I just want the call to match what the player did. I would have no issue using technology to measure the furthest jump. There's still plenty of room for technique.

However, faults do make for better television. You know exactly when they'll take off. There is drama in seeing if they'll fault as they're trying to push the envelope. There are still good reasons for wanting it. But I agree doesn't best accomplish the objective of seeing how far someone can jump. If the event were created today (HA! It would never be created today if it didn't already exist) I would guess they would just give a range from which you need to lift off and they would use the technology to measure.

Replies: