Should i call my indurance company?
by Bluntschli (2022-01-24 13:24:16)

I was recently hit by another vehicle and immediately called my insurance company, because I thought that’s what you were supposed to do. I did not call the other party’s insurance company. I was under the impression that mine would simply act as a liaison in my interests to get the matter handled, while theirs would handle the actual bills. Instead my insurance company cut me a check, and I ended up paying the deductible on an accident where the police report showed I wasn’t at fault.

Now, someone has driven into the front of my building. Same insurance company, different policy, both commercial. I’m hesitant to contact my own insurance company because of what happened before, but I don’t have their insurance information yet which is already providing some friction with the clean up company. I don’t mind paying up front and being reimbursed (more credit card points). Is there anything else I should be thinking about? Im sure some would say that dealing with the other company would be more adversarial, but shouldn’t they be professional and just do their job? The only real concern here would be dealing with an auto policy on a commercial real estate claim, but this is not the only building anyone has ever driven a car into.

My personal opinion and how I handle these things
by knutesteen  (2022-01-24 19:19:00)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Notify your auto insurer when another at fault vehicle hits you, so in the unlikely event they make a claim against you, you have satisfied the reporting terms of your policy. Then contact and proceed against the other vehicle's insurer.
On the building claim, why don't you know who insures the at-fault driver? Once you learn that, again, notify your commercial property insurer to satisfy your reporting duties and proceed against the adverse driver's insurer.
The only issue that could arise in either case is if the adverse vehicle is uninsured-in which case you would need to make a first party claim with your insurer versus a third party claim against the adverse vehicles' insurers. Buena suerte.

In SB and Mishawaka, the police take the information and
by Bluntschli  (2022-01-24 19:53:19)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

file a report and unfortunately, it's not available for 24 hours. I'll get it tomorrow and call their insurance company.

I would notify them
by ghop  (2022-01-24 16:03:13)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

even if it is only on the off chance that the at fault driver is uninsured/underinsured and you need to make a claim under your policy. You don't want them trotting out a failure to timely notify denial of coverage in the future.

I went ahead and called them, and the agent filed it as
by Bluntschli  (2022-01-24 19:50:02)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

"reported" not a full claim. Thanks for the heads up.

On the auto accident
by reilly  (2022-01-24 15:14:57)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I was broadsided by a 16 year old driver last summer, totaling my car. Both I and the other driver had the same insurance (USAA), but they told me the claims would be assigned to different adjusters to avoid the potential for a conflict of interest. My adjuster paid out the value of my car, less the deductible, as soon as they determined that my car was totaled. It took another week or two for them to send me the amount of the deductible as well, once the other driver's adjuster determined she was at fault.

In your case, I would push your adjuster to follow up with the other driver's insurance company to make a determination of fault so they can reimburse your deductible.

Were you both driving MDXs?
by Bluntschli  (2022-01-24 19:48:45)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

That's exactly how I expected things to go when I called them.

Narrator: That is not how things went.

Do you realize the long wait time you will have to endure? *
by Frank Drebin  (2022-01-24 13:55:13)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

My initial thought when I read this was "agreeance" but it
by Bluntschli  (2022-01-24 19:46:09)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

took surprisingly little time to get a human on the line. And both people I spoke to were straightforward and helpful. Makes me nervous.

With regards to the auto accident.........
by Ty Webb  (2022-01-24 13:35:46)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I think it often depends on who the other carrier is, the accident itself, etc. In one accident I had, the police said the other driver was at fault but the other carrier dug in claiming we were both at fault. So my carrier paid for my repairs and I paid the deductible. I had moved on when 12 months later I got a check in the mail from my carrier. They had been able to successful argue and get the other insurance company to pay - both my insurer and myself got our money back.

But other times, I guess when the fault is clear cut, the other insurer will pay. I had a kid pull off to the right in front of me and then without realizing I was there, tried to make a U-turn. We collided and it was clear he was at fault. I notified my insurance company but the kid's insurance company handled everything.

Maybe I'll get a lucky check in a few months. The way they
by Bluntschli  (2022-01-24 19:44:09)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

handled the rest of my claim, I'm not holding my breath.