Think I heard either greatest or worst reading ever at Mass
by Frank Drebin (2022-01-24 14:06:22)

Went to Saturday vigil Mass this past weekend. The parish deacon is a 71 year old retired plumber, named Tony, who needs stronger reading glasses. During the reading of The Gospel, he lost his place and was unable to find it again so he just ad libed: “and Jesus said to the crowd - “hey, cut that crap out”. Tony then sat down

The pastor then got up for the sermon and simply said that Tony has just summed up 2000 years of the work of some of the greatest Catholic theological minds trying to analyze Christ’s mission and message on earth with that simple line of “hey, cut that crap out”. The pastor then sat down.

“My right hand does wondrous deeds”
by OldIrishFan  (2022-01-24 20:43:26)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Senior year 1980. I am convinced to go to Sunday night Mass at Fisher Hall in the Chapel because our rector from freshman and sophomore year has returned to campus and is saying Mass that night. One of our more pious classmates is reading from the Epistle. He began by looking right and left and after a pause said, “ A reading from Paul to the Somthingicians” Another long pause while looking right and left. “My right hand does wondrous deeds!”
The guy next to me in the front row landed on the floor laughing hysterically. The good Priest just looked to the Heavens. A great guy. God bless you Father Fred Brenner. The man should be canonized. RIP

We had the archbishop
by Nut  (2022-01-24 17:13:38)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

His homily was 32 minutes long. At one point the pastor of our church, the cathedral, was rolling his eyes while looking at his watch. My son, seated on the altar next to said pastor, was dozing off.

You're in Atlanta, right?
by NDBass  (2022-01-24 19:27:44)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

If so, I'm glad I went to 6:00 PM mass last night.

I am. My son often serves 10:30 am.
by Nut  (2022-01-24 19:32:40)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Always funny to hear Msgr. Mac's sighs when the archbishop shows up.

Msgr. Mac will always be Fr. Frank to us.
by Georgia Hog  (2022-01-25 08:27:42)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

We founded St. Peter Chanel in Roswell with him over 20 years ago. He is the best pastor I’ve ever had. Here’s a great Fr. Frank story:

One Friday morning after 6:45 Mass, a group of guys were heading to breakfast and invited Fr. Frank to join them. He said that he would love to meet them but would drive separately because he was scheduled to hear confession at 7:30 from someone who hadn’t been to Reconciliation in over 30 years and so would be a few minutes late.

When he heard this, the guy who had extended the breakfast invitation said they could do it another time considering that the Reconciliation session would likely take a long time for someone who hadn’t been to confession in 30 years.

Fr. Frank responded, “Why? How long does it take to say, ‘You’re forgiven?’”

$ and attendance would go up with 30 minute masses. *
by Frito  (2022-01-24 16:28:53)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Exhibit A: St. Rose of Lima, Cincinnati, OH
by Twinkie the Kid  (2022-01-25 10:00:58)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Our Chevy Traverse doesn't blend in well with all the Beamers, Audis, and Mercedes in the parking lot. The "High Mass" on Sunday is always under 40 minutes (because they actually sing at this Mass). All other Masses are consistently under 30 minutes.

Pre-COVID, every Mass was standing room only.

We have one guy who sets an alarm at 8 minutes
by sprack  (2022-01-24 19:22:22)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

when he starts his homily. Which he never pays attention to because he turns it off and then talks for at least another 12 minutes. One particularly windy Sunday (windy inside the church), he talked for a half hour. About what I can't recall.

I wish they'd publish ahead of time who is saying the Masses, because I'd never go to another of his.

When I was young our church had Sunday mass on the hour
by IAND75  (2022-01-24 20:58:01)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

every hour from 7 to noon. The pastor insisted that the homily could be no more than 10 minutes. Mass had to last no more than 35 min, 40 min absolute max, so that the parking lot could empty out in time for the next crowd to arrive.

He required weekday masses to be 25 min, 30 min absolute max, and the homily could be no more than 5 minutes.

He theory was a variation on the old, “I apologize for writing such a long letter. I didn’t have time to write a short one.” Along with his contention that people start tuning you out if you go longer.

It is completely doable, if you put in the effort.

..and face-melting guitar solos. *
by doolinbanjos  (2022-01-24 17:01:38)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Right up there with, "Hey, watch that guy!"
by BeastOfBourbon  (2022-01-24 15:56:44)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Which happens to be either the greatest or worst piece of defensive football strategy ever.

I want to go to your church *
by FtWorthfan  (2022-01-24 15:08:45)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Me too. *
by socal_doubledomer74  (2022-01-24 15:29:42)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Tony deserves a medal.
by NDBass  (2022-01-24 14:16:09)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

He's truly doing the Lord's work.