$ and attendance would go up with 30 minute masses. *
by Frito (2022-01-24 16:28:53)

In reply to: Think I heard either greatest or worst reading ever at Mass  posted by Frank Drebin

This user did not provide content for this post

Exhibit A: St. Rose of Lima, Cincinnati, OH
by Twinkie the Kid  (2022-01-25 10:00:58)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Our Chevy Traverse doesn't blend in well with all the Beamers, Audis, and Mercedes in the parking lot. The "High Mass" on Sunday is always under 40 minutes (because they actually sing at this Mass). All other Masses are consistently under 30 minutes.

Pre-COVID, every Mass was standing room only.

We have one guy who sets an alarm at 8 minutes
by sprack  (2022-01-24 19:22:22)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

when he starts his homily. Which he never pays attention to because he turns it off and then talks for at least another 12 minutes. One particularly windy Sunday (windy inside the church), he talked for a half hour. About what I can't recall.

I wish they'd publish ahead of time who is saying the Masses, because I'd never go to another of his.

When I was young our church had Sunday mass on the hour
by IAND75  (2022-01-24 20:58:01)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

every hour from 7 to noon. The pastor insisted that the homily could be no more than 10 minutes. Mass had to last no more than 35 min, 40 min absolute max, so that the parking lot could empty out in time for the next crowd to arrive.

He required weekday masses to be 25 min, 30 min absolute max, and the homily could be no more than 5 minutes.

He theory was a variation on the old, “I apologize for writing such a long letter. I didn’t have time to write a short one.” Along with his contention that people start tuning you out if you go longer.

It is completely doable, if you put in the effort.

..and face-melting guitar solos. *
by doolinbanjos  (2022-01-24 17:01:38)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post