If I may wade in
by veets (2022-01-25 14:11:27)

In reply to: The responses that I put in the previous thread...  posted by ewillND

Would this be a better explanation than "It might upset the women on the board."? I've been playing this around in my head, and I'm going to give it my best shot. Please let me know if I've missed the target. (it's a work in progress)

1. Women, way more than men, are judged on appearance first before anything else.

2. Therefore, women are way more sensitive to "appearance-only" posts/comments than men. And are justified to feel that way. And it makes sense.

3. "Appearance-only" posts reduce the woman to an image/thing.

4. In fact, there is no reason to comment on a woman's attractiveness in relation to anything.

5. On Rock's House, there have been posts about ND players about how accomplished they have become (Ambrose Wooden is the most recent post I've seen). NEVER has there been a photo added and a comment about how attractive they are. (Notwithstanding 1NDGal's posts about how "cute" someone is...and they have stopped)

6. Therefore, there should reason why a woman's attractiveness should be a topic in a post/comment. It reinforces the notion that a woman's value is tied to attractiveness/appearance.

I say all this as a willing participant in the QOTBR nonsense (17 years ago?) and have felt badly about it ever since.

Replies: