If you drive 20,000 miles a year in a four-wheel...
by Kbyrnes (2022-05-24 18:47:54)
Edited on 2022-05-24 18:48:34

In reply to: Is there any end in sight for these insane gas prices?  posted by mocopdx

...and get 25 mpg, the 800 gallons will cost you $4,000 at $5.00 per gallon. At $3.00 per gallon, you'd save $1,600 or $133.33 per month. This is a significant amount for many; but for many others, including, I perhaps erroneously assume, a good number here, an extra $133.33 per month will not lead to ruin. It's certainly a very regressive feature of inflation.

One solution: go hybrid or all-electric. My '21 Camry hybrid, which was getting 40-50 mpg last year, has recently been reaching into the 60 to 70 mpg range. For example yesterday morning I took I-290 from Elmhurst to downtown Chicago. There was a lot of slow going, though it picked up around Ashland. Anyway, I pulled into the Tower Parking self-park on Franklin and saw 72.3 mpg on the display, which is my highest single trip figure yet.

Think of your gasoline price per mile driven, not per gallon purchased. If I average 50 mpg, at $5.00 per gallon my cost is $0.10 per mile; at 30 mpg, it's about $0.17 per mile; and if you're driving a 2021 Escalade, you're reportedly getting about 17 mpg for $0.29 per mile.

And a train is traveling 60mph west for 1.5 hours...wait? *
by inigomontoya  (2022-05-25 03:49:48)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

The fear of high gas prices is more psychological than
by JEASH  (2022-05-24 20:32:57)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

practical and can be traced back to the 70s

Yep.
by rumrunner  (2022-05-25 00:15:38)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

It is an issue that has *way* more political significance than actual impact on consumer finances. People spend like 10x on housing compared to gasoline, but housing cost increases are greeted with a shrug while gas price increases are apparently a sign of the end times.

And funnily enough, politicians can actually impact housing prices much more than they can impact gasoline prices.

But the high gas prices lead to higher prices on everything.
by dvpgm  (2022-05-24 19:22:06)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

It's not just personal gas consumption. The cost of diesel is and will continue to rapidly drive up the cost of goods you buy daily as th3 cost to deliver those goods to stores increases. That $133/month turns into $500/month really quickly

The concept you raise is very reasonable...
by Kbyrnes  (2022-05-25 09:05:21)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

...Certainly higher prices for refined petroleum products usually makes other things more expensive; I'm not sure I've seen that it's in the range of $370 a month for an average household, but that depends on what they buy.

Not to be too glib, but beans, rice, and everyday fruits and vegetables aren't all that expensive. For example, the BLS indicates that the average price of bananas has increased in three years by about 5%. "Other fresh vegetables" are up about 6%. Other items, particularly those that require significant animal husbandry and/or processing like beef, pork, poultry, eggs, and processed canned goods, are up significantly more, part of the price we pay for eating what I call "industrialized food." (Yes, I like a slider or a bag of Doritos every so often too.)

Take eggs, for example. They're up something like 23% in the last three years. But a dozen eggs costs something like $2.50 to $3.00 depending on what part of the country you're in. A family of four that had an average of an egg a day for a 30-day month would spend about $22.50 to $30.00 on eggs, before sales taxes. In 2019 it would've been about $18.30 to $24.40; the difference of about $4 to $5.50 a month shouldn't be too oppressive on any family.

Inflation is a major issue--there's no evading that. But we should probably dig down and ask, what exactly costs more, and what does it say about our patterns of consumption?

Time to increase delivery by rail.
by GoldCoastIrish  (2022-05-24 19:25:48)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

And save the trucks for last mile delivery.

With the sea freight issues more stuff is coming by air
by airborneirish  (2022-05-25 17:40:00)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Chicago ohare has become very busy and is now our most important port by value of trade. We have a lot of rail but a good number is still going out by truck. So we are getting a triple whammy of losing out on sea freight, paying more for stuff to come in via gas guzzling planes, and then shipping from the center (not really) of the country. And we are using a lot of trucks.

Also there is a pilot shortage so that may be a quadruple whammy.

Edit: the above stat comes from last weeks economist. Linked below

Don't we already do that for the most part?
by elcortez01  (2022-05-24 20:50:28)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

That siad, I'm all for more rail, both personal and freight.

It's being pushed more - normally 35% of Los Angeles/Long
by SixShutouts66  (2022-05-24 22:01:59)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Beach containers go by rail. I didn't include a link for that, but I did for ongoing plans to expand rail shipping.

One issue that the US has is that a lot of the railways are single-tracked, which can cause delays when a train has to sit at a siding to let another one pass. Unfortunately during the downturn in rail traffic, a lot of dual tracks were ripped out to save on maintenance.

I can remember as a youngster stopped at a rail crossing and counting the number of rail cars that went by (as many as 200 IIRC).

I'm surprised it's that low out of a port like LA/Long Beach
by elcortez01  (2022-05-24 22:07:38)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Wonder what percent of those that go by tuck are local? I'd guess pretty high. I'd also be curious to know what the breakdown is on rail usage by imported containers vs. "domestic" shipments.

Here's the link on rail usage at Los Angeles/:ong Beach
by SixShutouts66  (2022-05-24 23:01:05)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Perhaps other ports are better. You have a valid point about what distance and speed of delivery make rail or trucks a better choice. Some of the recent rail changes have sped up the route through the cities. I know that there are hge warehouse facilities in neighboring counties, such as the facilities in the city of Banning. Presumably these are rail delivery and distribution facilities.

Oakland has a much lower train usage at its port (10% vs 50% for Los Angeles) I know there's an inconsistency between my reported 35% and this. The supply chain crisis seemed a perfect storm with empty containers piling up in the ports awaiting transport back to the Far East and the ships they were to go on were waiting offshore for space to unload their containers.

That really is not that feasible, it sounds great on paper
by JEASH  (2022-05-24 20:31:06)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

if you don’t know what your talking about though. The US is one of the best at moving freight with rail though.