Killarney/Cork and Belfast are pretty far apart
by DakotaDomer (2022-11-28 10:33:17)

In reply to: Sell me on traveling to Belfast (in January)  posted by Freight Train

How much time do you have if you do the drive?

Belfast has a lot of things of moderate interest — it’s not a quaint small Irish town and it’s not a European capital city. The Titanic museum or black cab tours are the most typical tourist activities and my personal favorite is pints in a snug at the Crown Liquor Saloon. The castle isn’t worth stopping inside for but you can drive by it.

The loop from Belfast back to Belfast or over to Derry is a much bigger draw.

In a rush you can drive straight up to Ballycastle and hit the Causeway, Carrick-Rede, and Bushmills
If you have a full day or two I start with Carrockfergus, drive all of the Antrim coast and its glens, drive Torr head before getting into the big stuff. After Porststewart/Portrush you’ll head to Coleraine and from there it depends on time. If you have another day you can head to Derry and see the walls and a bit of Inishowen peninsula. If you don’t have the time you head back to belfast or Dublin from coleraine and if possible stop at the Dark Hedges on the way.

It’s basically from Evansville to Ft. Wayne
by sprack  (2022-11-28 14:37:19)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

At least 5 hours, if you’re lucky.

It’s funny you should mention that
by DakotaDomer  (2022-11-28 15:29:34)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I often compare Ireland and Indiana when it comes to relative size, population, and the fact that roads tend to lead towards a large population hub kind of in the center.

IN pop = 6.8 mill
Island of Ireland pop = 7 mill (5.1 + 1.9)

IN area = 36418 square miles
Island of Ireland area = 32596 square miles

Dublin area pop - 1.256 mill
Indianapolis area pop - 2.075 mill

If I recall correctly from my travels to ireland 20 yrs ago.
by nitschke  (2022-11-28 13:09:11)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

What takes 2 hours in the U.S. takes 4 days in ireland.

They’ve built actual highways now
by Freight Train  (2022-11-28 13:53:43)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Intercity travel times now cut in half. Change from first visit in 1996 to 2016 was astounding. It’s like an entire country of US 31 Kokomo bypasses. Glorious.

I prefer the 4 days for 2 hours method
by DakotaDomer  (2022-11-28 15:27:42)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Motorways aren’t glorious

2012 they only had...2?
by ravenium  (2022-11-28 14:05:33)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Going Dublin to Limerick, Dublin-Belfast was easy. Shannon-Cork was ok, actual 2 lane road with a shoulder.

North of Limerick was awful sheep roads.

Wonderful. Thanks! Yep, 5+ hour drive.
by Freight Train  (2022-11-28 11:04:39)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Will have to give deep thought on that aspect. I have maybe two days to devote to the drive plus tour. Not sure it can work. I get to Dublin on a Tuesday, plan to train/car to Cork, leave Wednesday night for Killarney. Thurs and Friday there, perhaps leave Friday night to drive to Ulster, arriving very late. Then Saturday and most of Sunday up there. Return flight leaves Dublin Monday at 11:30 AM so I’d like to be back in Dublin Sunday night.

Ulster night just be too far away unless I can get Killarney off the agenda, which is HIGHLY unlikely.

humble suggestion
by irishrock  (2022-11-28 12:03:00)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

(I love Killarney too)

a bit of research on the Wild Atlantic Way may be worthwhile...a road trip north through County Clare up to Galway would be fantastic. (there's a place called Vaughan's Lodge in Liscannor that serves...sorry jt...the best fish & chips I had in all of Ireland)

Doolin is also a fantastic place not far from Lahinch and the Cliffs of Moher
that has some great restaurants and pubs for music.

That's a LONG haul from Cork/Killarney to Belfast...and I'm not sure it's worth it

Thanks. Done all that before.
by Freight Train  (2022-11-28 12:39:45)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

And enjoyed every part of it. I'm coming around to the notion that Belfast is just too far in the time available.

well, do it again
by irishrock  (2022-11-28 13:19:54)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I'm kind of being sarcastic and kind of being serious.

What's really cool is that you can't go wrong with anything you do over there. I'm heading over for golf this next June...but someday, I'll be heading up to the NW part of Ireland and exploring those areas and playing some golf as well.

Despite my handle, those are my people up there.
by doolinbanjos  (2022-11-28 15:40:10)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

We have family in Letterkenny, Rathmullen, Buncrana and various other places in Donegal.

I think we already discussed golf up there.

Ballyliffin, Rosapenna, and Portsalon are good links courses. We play a few local courses as well (with family that are members). They aren't really worth going out of your way.

Hard to go broke golfing up there unless your heart is set on Portrush.

I think I might! *
by Freight Train  (2022-11-28 13:33:34)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

And that's probably only if you go the boring motorway route
by DakotaDomer  (2022-11-28 11:12:01)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I'm not sure I've ever driven more than 2-3 hours on an Irish Motorway

In theory it's possible - I would do it bright and early so you can lunch at your destination.