Recs Needed (Stockholm and Prague)
by kevinprice (2022-11-28 14:59:40)

Have a 12 hour layover in Stockholm then spending a week in Prague. Give me a restaurant in Stockholm and any recs for Prague you may have.

Key bit of information: traveling with wife and two kids (6 and 2yo).

Punk Royale Stockholm is an extraordinary dining experience
by connormacmanus  (2022-11-29 09:13:40)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Honestly one of the coolest meals I’ve ever had in my life. And, humbly, I’ve enjoyed a few decent meals all over the world - Punk Royale remains one of the most unique...

That said it’s absolutely not a family dining experience, nor for the timid, so probably doesn’t make sense in your circumstances.

Travel-wise in Stockholm
by GoldCoastIrish  (2022-11-28 18:01:12)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

The Arlanda Express takes 20 mins one way, but runs every 10-15 mins.

Add in passport control, and your kids, you've got 4 hours.

Vasa would be awesome if they're older, and your oldest may enjoy it, but you're going to be on borrowed time.

You'll arrive in Central station, and could can to the Vasa quickly, then take a water taxi to gamla stan and subway back to central after a meal.

Those leave from Grona Lund, where you could possibly hit the Djurgarden and see some real life reindeer.

For Prague, definitely check out the castle, although a stroller would be hard there.

If you're feeling saucy, Karlstejn castle is awesome and on the way to Plzen, but you're going to mess up the 2yos nap schedule unless they sleep on the train.

Thank you for the helpful information: follow up
by kevinprice  (2022-11-29 12:50:20)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I'm confused about what you say will take 4 hours. Will it take 4 hours to get out of the Airport and to the city? Or, given the 12 hours from landing to takeoff, I should plan on only having 4 hours in the city before we should head back?

I don't suppose uber or a competitor would be any faster.

Arlanda express is the fastest option
by fontoknow  (2022-11-29 13:04:18)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

and depending on when you arrive in city center, traffic can get snarled.

I've never really had problems on arrival at Arlanda getting out but I am generally flying from a Schengen country.

Arlanda hasn't had the same problems as say Amsterdam this last summer, but double check on security line times.

Ice skating at Kungsträdgården is pretty magical
by fontoknow  (2022-11-29 09:08:40)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

assuming this is a winter visit.

Conveniently, Backfikan is adjacent.

A few things Prague
by doolinbanjos  (2022-11-28 15:35:08)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Our most memorable meal was at the Cafe di Carli, which is Italian-ish. We had many good Czech meals as well, but they sort of blended together. Cafe di Carli had a great and very affordable wine list, and was a nice break from the usual Czech fare.

The Spanish synagogue is one of many places the do small concertos. It is down the street from Cafe di Carli.

We spend a day doing "Prague by e-bike". It is a great way to see all the sights of Prague. Prague is hilly, so the e-bike makes it very pleasant. I am not a cyclist by any means, and have bad knees, and I loved it.

Of course you'll go to the castle. In it you might check out Lobkowicz Palace. Interesting museum and story of a family that lost everything during Communist rule, and got it all back after the Iron Curtain fell. They also have concerts.

Otherwise, there is a lot to do and see.

A few others. There's a very cool medieval clock
by Domerfromkansas  (2022-11-28 18:28:24)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

in one of the squares in the center of the old city. People gather to watch the performance at the top of the hour. Great for kids of all ages. There's a very old university right near the river that has a very cool medieval planetarium type structure along with other old 'stuff'. The Jewish quarter is worth some time. Everything on the 'upper level' near the castle is 'must see,' including a spectacular library. Walk up there from the lower town if you can. You'll enjoy the time there.

The Astrological clock. Very cool. Definitely get the ticket
by CAFB4ND  (2022-11-28 21:28:26)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

And take the trip up the tower as well. Great view of the city. Eat at Lokal one night (several scattered around and is more of a local beer hall type experience). Pickled cheese is a must also. Also go find the statue of Frued hanging from a light post.

Bakfickan in the Royal Swedish Opera House
by fontoknow  (2022-11-28 15:15:07)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

It's on Gustav Adlopf Torg.

Perfect Swedish meatballs. Casual low key.

Aifur is a Viking restaurant in Gamlastan. I am assuming your 6 year old would love it.

If you have enough time on your layover, go to see the Vasa.

Reservation made at Aifur
by kevinprice  (2022-11-29 12:53:39)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

You're right, my extremely outgoing 6 year old will love this. I hope we have time to make it to the ship.

There’ll be no Bakfickan at the Royal Swedish Opera House!
by Frank Drebin  (2022-11-28 17:21:39)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

We are respectable people and don’t engage or encourage that alternative lifestyle choice. If you feel you must explore your depraved desires, then you may want to consider some donut shop skanks up in Canada.

Don't knock Tim's Bits until to try him! *
by kevinprice  (2022-11-28 17:50:11)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post