Allow me one rant
by GoIrish! (2019-04-27 12:51:21)
Edited on 2019-04-27 12:55:08

I try not to be negative, but I have to say this, and I'll take criticism from anyone who disagrees, without comment
1) Base running, not a surprise to anyone who follows ND BB, but there is a difference between aggressive base running and poor, it has haunted us for years
2)When to pull a pitcher, pitcher myself in college, coached 25 yeas of high school ball, I realize we don't have a great bullpen, but however in the 7th inning whey your pitcher is over 100 pitches and has just walked two batters, you leave in him with bases loaded to face the teams best hitter, no?
3)Hitting, I'm telling you we don't have bad hitters, the biggest thing I see which I preached everyday and went over hitting situations, is what to look for in a certain count. Our hitters seem absolutely clueless when they go to the plate. Every count dictates what you are looking for, you might not get it, you might get fooled. But I have never seen a team with so many weak swings. When I have a 2-0 count and I'm swinging late on a fastball it tells me that kid is not aggressive or not anticipating the count. Every count our kids were not only looking for a specific pitch but location. If it s 2-0 and he throws a four seam on the outside part of the plate it's ok to take that if I'm a inside hitter or I am looking for something over the plate. The number of continual weak swings we have is unbeliveble. We get cheated so many times at the plate because we are being aggressive but being defensive at the plate. The number of 1st pitch gut fast balls we take is a prime example, along with the continuous number of weak fly balls we pop upThat's it I'll shut up

Great insight. This team has potential but there is no
by Cbo86  (2019-04-28 17:38:41)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

question that poor coaching pulls this team down. I still play baseball at 55 and see the value of coaching. As your post deftly points out, Aoki not only lacks the necessary technical coaching skills but also gut feel for flow of the game. Until Jack stops hiding behind the ACC competition, we are going to see baseball ranging from bad baseball to potentially good baseball (that will get derailed in crunch time when we need leadership.)

Your point #2 is directly related to program building
by ndgotrobbedin97  (2019-04-27 13:40:47)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

There is no pitching depth. So, time and again Aoki has to hope/wish/pray that the guy he has in the game can somehow get outs.

Now, this is understandable....understandable that this program is in the hands of someone who can't put together depth over a 9 year period.

The team looks half competent this year. That is miles short of the standard, and should have cost him his job 2 or 3 years ago. That his job is STILL not in jeopardy is absolutely maddening. This program got to the CWS in the past 15-20 years, so there is no excuse for not competing. It has been proven possible. There is no excuse for this mess.

Yet, Aoki seems to be given every excuse (oh, the ACC is hard, Bluto) to fail, and nothing is expected of him in terms of putting together a program that is deeper than 2 decent weekend starters and 2 guys in the bullpen.

This is not hard. He has not done the job over 9 years. Why in God's name would you given him another?

Have to agree, re changing your pitcher...
by 2Domer  (2019-04-27 13:38:03)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Here’s what I think happens (and I’ll bet you agree): you get into late innings with your starter, who has pitched a great game so far. Then he starts to look a little wobbly. It’s mostly a feel, and baseball is such a mental thing. The opponent gets a hit. The pitcher falls behind on the count and maybe walks a couple of guys. It just begins to feel like things are changing. The coach visits the mound and asks the pitcher how he feels. The pitcher probably says “Coach, I feel good. I still got it!” So the coach turns to the catcher and says “ How does he look?” And the catcher says “Coach, he still has good stuff.” All of that may be true, but something must be done to change the feel, because so much of the game is mental and things happen based upon how things feel. It affects everybody: the pitcher, the catcher, the guys in the field, and also the other team. If your guys start worrying that something bad might happen, that in itself induces bad things to happen. So I think you have to go with the way things feel, even if it happens to defy logic. Sometimes you just need to show the opponent something different, even if you like your starter’s stuff more than your reliever’s stuff. I know it’s a judgment call and sometimes it turns out to be a bad call, but as a matter of philosophy that is what I think, because the game is so darn mental. (But as you point out, sometimes pure logic dictates a change too.) I don’t mean to be guilty of 20/20 hindsight. That isn’t fair. But you made some comments that ring true to me, so I wanted to add my own agreement.