Big Ten Team to Omaha (ugh)
by soloirish (2019-06-10 11:26:03)

The 'bad weather' excuse is void.
Beat #1 seed UCLA.
It's all about coaching and recruiting.

The cost of UM versus ND is significant
by GOLDENEIL  (2019-06-11 15:27:05)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

A half scholarship at Notre Dame costs the player way more than a half at Mich or any other Big team. But some coaches always win and some don't. This is a difficult hire for Jack unless he's just going to kick the can down the road. If he's committed to making us competitive in baseball, he'll hire the right coach and put the other needs in place. We have a lot of guys in MLB and should be able to have a top flight program.

Not so true for athletes from out of state
by ndzippy  (2019-06-11 16:19:24)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Michigan's out of state tuition is $49K for freshmen and sophomores, and $53K for juniors and seniors.

ND's tuition is $56K.

So, the difference in annual tuition costs after a half-scholarship is between $1500-3500. I can't imagine that's making or breaking decisions.

Unless UM gets a ton of in-state talent, which seems unlikely for baseball.

And recruiting, and recruiting,...
by GOLDENEIL  (2019-06-11 15:15:43)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

and recruiting!!!

Not as comparable as you might think
by NDIrishBB  (2019-06-10 17:00:48)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

ND is a northern school playing in a southern conference. Michigan is a northern school playing in a northern conference. Although you cannot blame Wins and Losses on weather, it's just a fact that it is much more of a disadvantage for ND because of the ACC than it is for Michigan in the B10. However, by making it to Omaha, they have obviously showed that they can compete (and win) outside of the B10.

F**K F**K F**K F**K F**K F**K F**K F**K F**K F**K F**K F**K *
by ShermanOaksND  (2019-06-10 14:41:26)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I watched the last two UCLA-UM games.
by gond79  (2019-06-10 11:37:41)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

That was some seriously bad baseball. (FSU-LSU was only slightly better.) I would have never guessed that UCLA was the #1 seed if the announcers hadn't reminded us every inning. Perhaps the PAC12 was overrated.

UCLA was overrated all year
by KLav18  (2019-06-11 14:10:02)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I have a bunch of connections to West Coast baseball and UCLA specifically... The Pac 12 was weak.
UCLA was in for a rude awakening in Omaha anyways.
They're playing a different sport in the South.

UCLA's pitcher in game 3 did not look very good to me. *
by 2Domer  (2019-06-10 12:33:06)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

It went beyond the talent on the field.
by gond79  (2019-06-11 10:20:16)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

There were defensive mistakes, base running gaffes and inexplicable coaching decisions. The 11th inning of the 2nd game of the series had all of these.

What's the story on the UM coach?
by TWO  (2019-06-10 11:34:32)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

They haven't been to the CWS since 1984, have they rededicated themselves to being an excellent program, new coach, facilities, commitment from the Univ on recruiting, etc? Or were they just lucky this year.

I believe he’s from Tim Corbin coaching tree *
by mrock90  (2019-06-10 11:41:04)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Correct. Bakich was on VU staff in Corbin's first
by Ryno  (2019-06-11 10:10:18)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

years at VU. I remember him as an excellent coach and maybe an even better recruiter. Turned Maryland's program around before arriving at Michigan.

Funny you mention Corbin because I was about to ask
by G.K.Chesterton  (2019-06-10 21:57:31)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

if we can get anybody off his staff after reading part of this piece. (Note: the current pitching coach for the Reds had the same position last year with the Brewers but came from the Vanderbilt staff.)

See the link for what he looks for in a player, but here some of Corbin's credentials:

Vandy’s head baseball coach has turned what was largely a nothing program — the Commodores had all of three NCAA Tournament appearances before Corbin’s 2003 arrival — into a bona fide powerhouse.

Including the Commodores’ 2019 trip, Vanderbilt has been to Omaha four times in the past nine years, including a 2014 national title, a 2015 runner-up finish, with their 2019 ending still unwritten.

With Vandy’s run to the 2019 CWS ongoing over the weekend — the ‘Dores lost Game 1 to Duke 17-5, then rallied with wins of 3-0 and 13-2 to win the Super Regional — this 2015 interview resurfaced, and we thought it appropriate to share it here, because it’s great.

Sometimes, it really is as simple as having the right guy
by ndzippy  (2019-06-11 09:08:54)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

We haven't had the right guy in a long, long time...