One point of disagreement
by Otter (2019-07-10 14:39:59)

In reply to: Okay  posted by NDIrishBB

First, thank you for your perspective as a former player. That is quite welcome around here.

Regarding the money ND spends or doesn't spend on baseball, it is incorrect that there are "lots of other Power 5 baseball programs" that are making money, thus able to spend more on the program.

I just looked at a bunch of different articles about college baseball and budgets and it is difficult to find definitive up to date numbers, but there are probably less than 6 baseball programs in the NCAA that turn even a modest profit. In the SEC, only LSU consistently makes money. A&M and MSU break even. The other programs, including Florida, lose 1-2 million each year.

UVA, which is a good baseball school in a warm weather state loses money every year.

ND has plenty of money and the fact that baseball is a non-revenue sport shouldn't mean we cannot invest where we need to and compete.

Source(s)
by NDIrishBB  (2019-07-10 19:19:24)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Could you post the articles that are specific to baseball? Not disagreeing with you, but I would love to see where that came from. If we are talking total athletic department bottom line, then yes, the majority of schools are in the red. But I did think that baseball programs at these big time schools were one of the sports finishing in the black. Would love to see the financials though.

Here's one article
by Otter  (2019-07-11 16:40:25)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I found one that I cannot find again that said that none of the ACC baseball teams are profitable. This article is about the SEC and how LSU makes money where other programs don't.

College baseball is a losing sport, even in the part of the country where it thrives. In fact, just four Southeastern Conference baseball teams turned a profit last season, according to documents obtained by The Advocate from league schools.

The figures are much gloomier beyond the Southeast.

The NCAA estimates that less than 10 percent of baseball programs nationally turn a profit, said Ron Prettyman, managing director of championships and alliances who oversees baseball. The number is probably closer to 5 percent, Prettyman said.