Great Question.
by KLav18 (2019-07-27 14:44:51)

In reply to: Question for you  posted by ndgotrobbedin97

Short answer...specializing in any sport prior to HS is usually the wrong path.
Parents feel that their son will be left behind, or lack development...so I get why it happens.

Like most things, it’s a pretty deep issue.

What’s best for the kid vs. what’s best for the baseball player?

I need to be at my desk computer to answer this.. I will soon. I hate typing on a phone.
What is Real vs. What is Right
Reality is, kids that play more baseball are usually better at baseball than the kids that don’t.
If the HS is really loaded with talent, the really good athlete will lose to the really good baseball player.
Think about it this way...
Why is the DR good at baseball? Brazil - Soccer, Canada - hockey, etc...
It’s not because those kids are playing a different sport in the off season. Is that healthy for the kid as a human being? Debatable.
Everyone will point to the exceptions... Mike Trout played 3 sports in HS!!!!
That works for a kid like Mike Trout in a town in NJ.

I will write more, but if I had to give a general template... Private instruction and skill development is nothing more than a money grab for kids under 13.
By 13-14, most kids will show where their talent and interests are.
That would be a good time to “get serious”... around the 8th grade.

My entering 7th grade son isn't a bad CF
by OITLinebacker  (2019-08-12 16:04:33)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

He has a live enough arm that he could be a pitcher with the right sort of coaching (I'm not the one to do it, he's beyond the level that I've player or coached). He's also not a bad athlete. He's a fairly good WR or Safety in football, a good rebounding Forward in BB, and not a bad soccer player.

I have and will continue to encourage him to play whatever he wants within reason. I've resisted the urge/temptation to get him into travel baseball, between costs, politics, coaching, and daddyball, I didn't think it was something that was going to be a good fit and would force him to specialize.

I think we finally found a program for him that has what I feel is good to excellent coaching with a light travel requirement. I feel the best part is the encouragement for the boys to play other sports and rec ball.

It is now getting to the point where he needs the coaching and the reps if he wants to compete against the travel kids. He could make make up some of the skills/training by being a good athlete and having good instincts. So if he wants to play in high school even he will need to work at it more.

I've seen a few kids who played a ton of travel ball starting at age 8. They're 14-15 now and completely burned out, including a kid that has needed surgery on his arm at 13! Kids need to be kids. As teenagers I feel they have a better idea of what sports they like and don't like and that is when it makes more sense.

I sort of chuckle this time of year watching the LLWS. Some of the US teams it seems fairly clear that you are watching a few teams of travel boys who have spent years playing together to get to this point. Good for them I suppose.

You are right on so many levels. *
by KLav18  (2019-08-14 19:08:07)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Thanks
by ndgotrobbedin97  (2019-07-27 22:27:51)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

My thoughts are almost identical. I'm not getting my son involved with "high level" stuff until he's in 7th grade at earliest. Until then, Dad will suffice as much as anyone else could.

More good stuff for parents with young ball players. *
by hibernianangst  (2019-07-27 21:50:16)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post