I agree. But I think embracing analytics and technology
by tex29 (2020-01-08 11:27:30)
Edited on 2020-01-08 11:59:52

In reply to: As a secondary point  posted by Cards86

could help with both. Technology could help (if not be critical to) our ability to fully develop our players. And if we are able to better develop our players and expose them to many of the tools and concepts utilized at the professional level, it will—along with improving our results on the field—help us compete on the recruiting trail.

In order to recruit great players from the southern and western states, we need to be able to sell more than a great education—they can get a great education at Rice, Vanderbilt, Stanford, etc. And those schools have both better baseball traditions and weather conducive to the sport. If we can become better at developing players and helping them transition to professional baseball, by teaching skills that can be honed indoors with modern technology, we would have a lot more to sell to our potential recruits.

Granted, we have done reasonably well recently in attracting or developing the occasional star player who has found success in the majors (e.g. Biggio and Mancini). But we should be using every feasible resource to remain competitive on the field and in recruiting. In my view, that includes technology and analytics.

Replies: