I’m still trying to figure out how analytics helps
by Cards86 (2020-01-08 12:25:09)

In reply to: I agree. But I think embracing analytics and technology  posted by tex29

A baseball swing. I truly am. Enlighten me

It helps you develop your approach to hitting.
by tex29  (2020-01-08 13:05:45)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

For example, it could reveal patterns in the way pitchers typically approach certain hitters or profiles of hitters, or the pitches and locations a hitter is likely to face situationally. If, for example, a hitter were to learn that a particular pitcher throws a fastball down and away 90% of the time when faced with a 2-2 count, that would be extremely useful for the hitter.

It also can help players develop better plate discipline by learning the expected results associated with pitches they frequently face in a particular zone. It’s one thing to tell a hitter you have noticed he struggles with pitches up and in, and he should try to avoid swinging at those pitches unless faced with two strikes. It’s another to be able to provide irrefutable data showing the likelihood of an unsuccessful plate appearance if he swings at pitches in that zone. Moreover, being able to identify and distill patterns based on data can help identify specific areas for improvement, and perhaps suggest drills or mechanical adjustments that might address those weaknesses.

In addition, technology and analytics can help hitters develop a better understanding of the strike zone while practicing, as well as provide useful information about hitting mechanics. For example, what is the frequency with which the hitter makes contact out in front of the plate? What are the expected outcomes in those cases? In other words, maybe the hitter’s swing is fine, but perhaps he’s struggling with timing. Technology can also help you explore and identify issues with balance, efficient weight transfer, swing-angle, etc.

Again, I’m not suggesting technology and analytics should replace good coaching; I’m suggesting technology and analytics can help facilitate good coaching.

I agree that analytics helps with revealing pitching
by Cards86  (2020-01-08 13:30:56)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

patterns, plate discipline, strike zone knowledge, and suggests areas where a player might improve. None of these things help a player's swing. They help his/hers approach.

The biggest difficulty we have with newly drafted players is the love affair with "launch angle". Every single one of our players attempts, incorrectly, to "get on plane" and swing "up" at the baseball. This requires length in the swing and thus takes more time. Invariably when the player is hitting .172 after a month of play we attempt to fix the problem. Pro baseball has done a great disservice to the amateur ranks, in my view, by not calling out amateur coaches and programs for this problem. It is one thing for Juan Soto to attempt to hit more long line drives than ground balls because he is incredibly skilled, has a repeatable swing, and merely needs to tweek his approach rather than his swing. It's what all big league hitters do. Christian Yelich has the measurably flattest swing in the Majors. Anthony Rendon has hands not seen since Paul Molitor - he just needs drills that keep him interested. Then wind him up and let him go.

Our analytic guys highlighted one of our players whose swing was measurably the "most on plane" and measurably the "most in sync". He hit below .150 and his swing sucks.

Amateur (and pro) coaches need to coach players to have a great set-up and a great approach. From those two baselines one can effectively work on the swing mechanics - not before. And though I agree with all of your post you have yet to identify how analytics helps a SWING.

That needs to be dug out of the dirt from childhood. Things like stickball, wiffle ball, and the like help dramatically in the formative years. But things like "launch angle" in the hands of inexperienced coaches has killed more swings than anything I know.

Sorry for the long rant...

I agree 100%.
by tex29  (2020-01-08 13:49:33)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

And to a good coach, technology and analytics may not offer as much in terms of mechanical improvement. Although, I’d argue that technology may be able to identify mechanical flaws that are less perceptible, even to a trained eye. While some of a hitter’s success is doubtless a result of natural talent, I do believe it is possible (although perhaps difficult) to develop new mechanical habits. As you ably point out, however, focusing on launch angle alone is highly detrimental. I would hope that wouldn’t be what we would get from the coaches at ND.

Nevertheless, even if just for the benefits it can provide for developing our pitchers and our hitters’ approaches to their at-bats, I think ND should seek to find coaches who can correctly incorporate these tools.

Thanks for your insight! I appreciate your obviously well-informed perspective.