I like it, but I think it'd be taken advantage of
by ndzippy (2019-01-15 12:48:35)

In reply to: My idea for an NCAA rule change  posted by Tex Francisco

I could see mid-major programs, or low-tier P5 teams (i.e., teams that don't produce many pros), use this rule to load up on developmental prospects and ultimately build out a roster with 100+ scholarship players.

I don't think this would be unfair (because everybody would be playing by the same rules), but I also wouldn't be surprised to see influencers/decision-makers (coaches, ADs, etc.) push back on the grounds of such a rule creating an uneven playing field.

Title IX would moderate this
by fontoknow  (2019-01-15 21:57:38)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

If signings are limited to 25 lois a year, the max scholarship roster would be 100.

wouldn't it be 110 in theory, although unlikely in practice?
by Tex Francisco  (2019-01-16 13:51:15)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

You could have a class of 25 freshmen all become 5th years and not count against the limit, and you could then recruit 85 more behind them.

The first mission of any university with regard to student
by cujays96  (2019-01-15 14:40:05)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

athletes should be to help them obtain an education. This would be rewarding good behavior by both the university and its student athletes.

Where's the harm?
by KeoughCharles05  (2019-01-15 14:20:52)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Programs that graduate their kids in four years would have an advantage. What's the problem?

I mean, outside of fake degrees like the Fake University of North Carolina.

Not harm, but could be perceived as an advantage
by weirdo0521  (2019-01-16 15:22:07)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

for those programs that can afford another 15 scholarships per year. A lot of the NCAA rule book (especially the ones that are perceived to be silly by the average person) come from a leveling the playing field point of view.

Agreed, but why is that a bad thing?
by Tex Francisco  (2019-01-15 13:05:21)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

It seems like it'd potentially level the playing field and give programs like Iowa and IU a path for competing against programs like Ohio State. It would create a dynamic not all that different than what you see in basketball with some programs loading up on one and dones and other programs building around multi-year players.

This is the biggest impact, I think.
by Notra_Dahm  (2019-01-16 09:25:44)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

The stability created by having quality depth would help the next tier teams. The teams that just reload get to work in backup players from their talented depth charts when needed due to injury, etc.

I agree with you
by ndzippy  (2019-01-15 22:35:37)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I just don't think most of the blue bloods that run the sport are interested in "leveling the playing field" for schools like Iowa and IU.