How true. How about this for ageing myself?
by ProV1x (2019-01-28 06:52:16)

In reply to: You know you are old when you can remember when  posted by usmcirish

I attended the 1964 NFL Championship game at Municipal Stadium between the Cleveland Browns with Jim Brown and the Baltimore Colts with Johnny U. The Browns won 27-0 with all of the scoring in the second half. Our seats cost a whopping $6 ea and were located in a box right over the home dugout of the Indians. The weather was colder than a grave digger's arse with a steady wind blowing in from the Lake.

A little trivia, this was the last NFL game that the officials' penalty flags were white. Also this was three years before the first Super Bowl, also billed as the First World Championship.

Ah, Municipal Stadium. What a great mausoleum for sport.
by dbldomer7375  (2019-01-28 08:51:54)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

It was big, cold (even in the summer) and not well kept up.

Interesting trivia, only one person ever hit a ball out of the park.

It was Tom Kennedy, ND alum and Captain of the ND national championship golf team. Someone made that wager with Tom, but failed to specify what type of ball and how it was to be hit out of the stadium.

Tom teed up a 7 iron at home plate, took a half swing and knocked it out of the park.

He knocked the cover off of it!
by ProV1x  (2019-01-28 15:39:54)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I also attended the first NFL exhibition double header in Muni a year or so before that Championship game. I cannot remember who won the contests but Cleveland played the Steelers and Detroit played the Cowboys.

The teams stayed and dressed in the same hotel as we did and I had a chance to talk to my good friends Nick Pietrosante and Dick Le Beau before they left for the stadium. It was a long, but fun, afternoon and evening and we had a nice time at Tom (?) Joyce's establishment after the games.