So apparently...Charlie Weis talked to Lions coach about OC
by fourputtmd (2019-01-30 12:31:40)

position.

now that hire would have been very lionesque.

It is what he has done well *
by jrdjr84  (2019-01-30 16:39:01)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Was told by a guy who coached with him with the chiefs
by irishrock  (2019-01-30 15:31:17)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

That Weis was the best offensive mind he’d ever worked with

This guy coached under Saban at Toledo and Michigan State. Said Weis was a genius at offense.

He's excelled as an NFL OC at NE and KC.
by Revue Party  (2019-02-03 23:02:01)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

It's not hard to imagine someone saying that. It's also not hard to imagine an NFL team wanting to hire him.

If they'd said that about his head coaching abilities, I'd have him tested for a concussion or worse.

Did he stay behind with Bobby Williams at Michigan St?
by Father Nieuwland  (2019-01-30 15:45:45)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Is there truth to the oft-told story that when Saban took the LSU job they sent the LSU plane back to East Lansing to bring back all of the assistants who wanted to join Saban at LSU. And when the plane returned to Baton Rouge it was empty.

He was
by irishrock  (2019-01-30 18:17:46)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

He also tells the story of a year where Michigan State didn’t make a Bowl game yet Saban made all his assistants come in on Christmas morning at 8:00 in the morning. It was also a recruiting dead period

“Why Nick?” Well, Terri says I drive her nuts as she is cooking Christmas meal for the family.

At 1:30, the most experienced assistant coach stood up and told Nick he was heading home to be with his family and the assistants all followed en masse.

Williams was later on Saban’s staff at Alabama and my friend is still friendly with him. Your story about the jet is 100% true and I often kid this guy, “probably should have been on that flight, huh?”
The life of a career assistant coach sounds pretty cool, but this guy picked up his family and moved a lot to the point he didn’t buy his first home until he was 47 years old. He has coached both in the college ranks and the NFL. One interesting tidbit is that once mini camp ends in early to mid June they are literally off until training camp...usually around 6 weeks or so. No checking voicemail or email...completely off. Then training camp begins and it is 12 hour + days for six straight months. Bye week...”that’s for players, not coaches”. When Grunhard tool the OLine coaching job with Kansas under Weis, he couldn’t believe the long hours because he was always a player.

Interesting life...but maybe not as cool as one would think

Did you see the Fehertey interview with Steve Spurrier?
by 96_ND  (2019-01-30 21:18:31)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

A few years ago Spurrier appeared on Feherty's TV show. Feherty was asking him about his work hours and Spurrier's comment was that he and his staff do not work too hard and that they win enough games at South Carolina. To me it was no coincidence that he was let go a few weeks later.

One reason Spurrier and Holtz took the South Carolina job
by Irishrock  (2019-01-30 21:56:11)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

A membership to Augusta National was included

Still waiting for Fr. Scully to make good on his promise to
by Irish72  (2019-01-31 11:01:57)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

get me on to AN for a round with Lou. Was made 17 years ago at ACE graduation. Maybe he needs a reminder?

Guess he needs the money and full access to a training table *
by Frank Drebin  (2019-01-30 14:32:13)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

No problem with it. NFL OC is a job he seems to do well.
by rockmcd  (2019-01-30 13:31:31)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

He did a very good job with the Chiefs in 2010.