NCAA rules OSU QB Justin Fields eligible to play in 2019
by Buckyd9 (2019-02-08 16:54:36)

I won’t link the WWL, but he was granted eligibility immediately.

Yeah, well....
by Jvan  (2019-02-08 22:59:18)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Fuck Michigan.

Solid argument. Case closed. *
by Btd  (2019-02-12 00:06:22)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Aye! *
by Porpoiseboy  (2019-02-10 11:29:32)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Valid point *
by 1NDGal  (2019-02-09 15:36:18)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

And profound. *
by ArasEra  (2019-02-10 17:20:32)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

No, color me not shocked. Weak organizations do weak things *
by DomerJon  (2019-02-08 17:37:02)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

While I do not generally disagree with the statement, I do
by ndstein04  (2019-02-10 09:52:33)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

disagree with the application to this instance. There are plenty of reasons to fault the NCAA, but I would be hesitant to apply it to this decision. Seeing as how Field’s teammate from the baseball team repeatedly called him the n word during a football game.

While I think that is a bad thing, he announced his transfer
by 84david  (2019-02-12 08:31:22)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

long before he found out about the name calling.

Both things can be correct. The name calling is bad, but he shouldn't be
granted eligibility because people feel sorry for him.

I could be wrong, but I’m pretty sure he didn’t announce his
by ndstein04  (2019-02-13 07:27:59)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

transfer in September. The incident happened Sept 29th. They kicked the baseball team’s best hitter out of school sometime around October 2nd. Of course it is just a pretext to allow a free transfer. But, would you want to play baseball on a team where you had the leading hitter kicked out of school? Could you imagine the negative press the NCAA would get if they didn’t allow the waiver. The NCAA had no choice. Sure, the organization is corrupt, but this is not the right incident to accuse them of corruption.

What is the timeline of Fields' transfer?
by GolfJunkie17  (2019-02-11 16:22:48)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I am not familiar with the situation, but I understand that he had made his intentions to transfer known before the racial slurs.

And that teammate was thrown out of school
by Doggie  (2019-02-10 22:45:47)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

That incident was just a pretext that was accepted by a corrupt organization. Even Fields admitted it after the fact.

In my opinion, the NCAA needs to stop its subjective application of the rules based on the most believable lie. Allow kids one free transfer without any reason at all and it removes themselves from playing games with kids who are willing invent reasons and those that are honest.

A group that represents academic organizations is actually encouraging people to lie so they can behave in the own best interest while the guys making all the money flip from school to school based on the highest offer.

Is he playing baseball at OSU? you are missing the point.
by DomerJon  (2019-02-10 20:35:16)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

It was never about baseball or someone calling him a name. It's about skirting the system and making up a bullshit lie about not feeling safe. If Jake fromme stepped in front of a bus the day before he transferred, he would of been so strong and found a reason to stay. Stop enabling this type of behavior.

The NCAA rules at the pleasure of its members.
by cujays96  (2019-02-09 09:47:25)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

The members are the universities. The NCAA is not a disembodied entity. If the NCAA is weak and feckless, it’s because the universities like it that way.

The number of members is huge, FBS, FCS, DivII and Div III
by TWO  (2019-02-09 12:33:50)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

That's a lot of schools with varying interests and who need some sort of umbrella organization to make rules, hold championships, etc.

So obviously not everybody is happy, but I'd bet most College Presidents see the issue as one of ongoing reform rather than dismantling of the NCAA.

I'm not sure that if say the Power 5 + Notre Dame group left the NCAA created their own organization that we would have a better organization with better, fairer rules, more even enforcement, etc.

Why would the Power 5 schools leave?
by cujays96  (2019-02-09 15:38:49)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Who do you think benefits the most?

There has been talk in recent years
by TWO  (2019-02-09 16:06:10)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

That rules that are good/fair for lower divisions are not for the power 5 teams. The big stopping point though is the NCAA Basketball tournament.

That's too bad.
by irisharab  (2019-02-08 17:21:03)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Would have been fun to see the Ohio State fans freak out if Fields was forced to sit out a year after Martell had already transferred.