Another Transfer Portal Passenger: WI QB Alex Hornibrook
by EFH4ND (2019-02-28 03:12:53)

Wisconsin's 5th year senior QB Alex Hornibrook has left the Badger program with career record of 26–6 during his three seasons as starting QB, including a 20–4 mark in Big Ten play. His .813 win percentage is the best of any Wisconsin quarterback in program history. Yet multiple head injuries, including a concussion, led to a disappointing second half of last year's season.

Curious to see where he ends up.

A bit surprising he seemed to be a very good fit
by TWO  (2019-02-28 08:27:46)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

for their system. The article said he had concussion issues, but that doesn't change with a transfer. I wonder if Wisc told him they wanted him to quit football rather than risk more concussions.

they also have a highly regarded QB coming in
by irishrock  (2019-02-28 12:53:07)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Graham Mertz out of Overland Park, KS...evidently committed early to WI and was continuously pursued by ND and others. Told everybody early on that his WI commitment was rock solid and so the recruiting ended.

Wisconsin could be scary
by cm_4_nd  (2019-03-04 15:24:11)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

The typical Wisconsin QB is more of a "game manager" type. Their strength is lies with a perennially strong running game. I wonder how they'll look with a kid like Mertz at the helm. He had offers from Alabama and Clemson.

There are rumors Hornibrook wasn't happy that the QB job
by G.K.Chesterton  (2019-02-28 14:54:13)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

was being thrown open to all comers. I think the Badgers will be better without him.

Heard from ex Badger that he had the "yips" post concussion *
by CGirish  (2019-03-01 19:01:23)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

not sure how popular he was with teammates...the rumor...
by NDFaninMadTown  (2019-03-01 22:15:47)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

is that concussion #1 came from a right hook to the head from OT David Edwards, after Hornibrook proved he was a little too Horni with Edwards' ex-girlfriend.

The word is Chryst's medical staff wouldn't clear him... they love the freshman Mertz, and figure they can get by with Coan until Mertz is up to speed.

Mertz is the best QB recruit they've ever had at UW.

I hope he transfers to NC State and has a great year.. *
by Rilo  (2019-02-28 19:07:12)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I'm skeptical of his talents and ascribe the record . . .
by EFH4ND  (2019-02-28 17:10:04)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

more to Wisconsin's consistent running game (see most recently 333 yards rushing to 73 yards passing vs. Miami in Pinstripe Bowl victory). With their annually demonstrated commitment to the running game, it's remarkable more QB's haven't prospered at WI against defenses focused on stopping the run. Would think the passing game would be a secondary concern on virtually every play. Outside of lucking into Russell Wilson for a year, the Badgers have experienced a wasteland of talent at the QB position. We'll see if Mertz is the long-overdue answer to the needs.