3 things from Eric Hanson on radio yesterday
by Hometown fan (2019-03-08 05:53:53)

1. Staff believes Houston Griffith had the best offseason gains in weight room on the team and his move to corner is going well.

2. Clark Lea really likes Avery Davis at corner. 1 & 2 appear to be responses from the Clemson game as ND focuses on getting faster and more athletic players on the field.

3. The goal in spring is not to have Phil J. challenge Ian. It is to have Ian challenge Ian. Working on him throwing over the middle and deeper more. Less check downs.

No,3 is dumb. *
by irishlib  (2019-03-14 12:42:37)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

How do we interpret No. 3?
by SWPaDem  (2019-03-08 07:33:00)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Don't expect your backup QB to get meaningful reps? In spring practice?

Talk about a bunch of disgruntled Western Pennsylvania fans if that is the case.

It also signifies the beginning of Kelly’s deconstruction...
by BeastOfBourbon  (2019-03-08 09:22:48)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

of Ian Book, trying to make him into something he’s not just so he can fit into Kelly’s “Big Chunk” vision of offense. Same as with every other QB Kelly’s had at Notre Dame. Look for Book to take a big step backwards, thus igniting the inevitable QB controversy.

well, I think that Ian does need to make those adjustments
by jt  (2019-03-09 20:19:48)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

and if he can't then he really can't play at this level.

Clemson was giving us those throws and it was embarrassing. Now, I would also prefer a different style of offense, scheme, etc. so don't get me wrong, but you cannot just ignore the middle of the field.

I cringe when I hear talk of “50/50” balls.
by BeastOfBourbon  (2019-03-10 11:55:09)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

To me that smacks of grab bagging and poor play design. Whatever happened to the notion of getting receivers open and hitting them in stride? My question for you is, do you think Kelly’s offensive scheme is even capable of exploiting the middle of the field?

yeah, probably
by jt  (2019-03-20 23:32:11)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

if he was a defensive minded head coach, believe it or not I don't know that I would say so. Many defensive minded head coaches stay away from the middle of the field.

That said, I have seen Tommy Rees throw the ball over the intermediate and deep middle playing in this offense and I believe Kelly wants to do it. Now, might the game have been moving fast for him against Climpsun and he didn't notice that was what was there? Maybe but doubtful.

You of course could be right..
by TWO  (2019-03-08 10:43:32)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

history isn't kind to QB's in their 2nd year under Kelly.

But one thing for sure, Book does need to get better at throwing the deep ball. He was great out of the box, distributing the ball quickly to receivers, but whether it was his injury in the Northwestern game or defensive coordinators figuring out that he couldn't beat you with the deep ball but his production tailed off towards the end of the season.

Exactly.
by manofdillon  (2019-03-08 10:09:04)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Every Kelly QB regresses (except maybe Rees). It's a law of nature at this point.

Big Chunk offense with no blue-chip receivers. Typical... *
by Wolfetone  (2019-03-08 09:55:52)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

"We had the look we wanted ..." *
by CJC  (2019-03-10 18:50:31)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post