A few years after your tenure, they had three rotations...
by Kbyrnes (2019-04-09 18:27:58)

In reply to: Freshman PE was a real hoot.  posted by BeijingIrish

...per semester. I did the required swimming, then ice skating twice for fall semester; then handball, because that was our dorm's nickname for the rector, and two successive rotations of golf. "Full swings, gentlemen--full swings!" (Noel O'Sullivan.)

If I remember my rotations correctly...
by El Kabong  (2019-04-10 13:51:00)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

...there were two in the fall and three in the spring.

I remember doing volleyball first (sprained my ankle a week in) followed by fencing, then in spring I did advanced fencing, social dance, and weight training.

Yes, it was two then three when we were freshmen
by Father Nieuwland  (2019-04-10 18:54:47)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

A nice bonus was getting to do the rotations with the varsity coaches from some sports.

I think I did racquetball, fencing with Yves Auriiol, social dance, the beautiful game of G-O-L-F with Noel O’Sullivan, and tennis with Bob Bayless.

Yves did both my fencing rotations *
by El Kabong  (2019-04-10 21:53:32)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Yves Auriol is the King of Life, full stop.
by 1NDGal  (2019-04-20 17:28:15)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I watched him on attack against an Olympic medal winner. It was like Yoda vs. Jabba. An absolute master.

Swimming was only required if you flunked the swimming test.
by Manor76  (2019-04-09 19:58:36)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Which I did.

Flunked it, but begged for and passed the retake
by charlottend  (2019-04-12 22:09:12)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Something about a sore shoulder from weight lifting, which was true, but 4 hours of sleep and a crushing hangover had way more to do with it.

I almost failed the swim test
by GoDomers  (2019-04-09 20:58:19)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Mind you I was captain of the my high school swimming team, and seriously considered swimming for Notre Dame, but ultimately decided against. Yet somehow Br. Louis did not like this way I swam side stroke or some such nonsense.

Yep, I failed it due to poor backstroke form.
by Giggity_Giggity  (2019-04-10 14:15:13)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I then spent a semester swimming laps while the rest of the class wore floaties.

I passed with "the most borderline backstroke ever at ND" *
by garbageplate  (2019-04-10 14:25:39)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

We heard stories about champion swimmers not
by rick  (2019-04-10 08:42:15)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

getting high scores on the swim test. Rumor was they graded it on a curve. They had a certain number of spots for the swim class to fill.

The rotations I can recall doing were volleyball, soccer, ..
by Rocksteady74  (2019-04-09 19:42:16)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

... skating, circuit training, tennis and handball.

They all were fine, if a bit of a pain to do.