Just my personal opinion, I think this will change nothing
by GolfJunkie17 (2019-05-06 21:35:09)

In reply to: It tooks like the academies might get more competitive! Our  posted by Dillon76

I don't think any elite recruit with any professional aspirations would choose Navy, even after the change. Maybe it'll help sway lower rated recruits in battles against Ivy Patriot League schools..

Disagree
by D8NDomer  (2019-05-07 11:25:41)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I think academy recruiting would get considerably better. They won't compete with the top ten schools, but they would get better depth. And they needn't get top recruits at every position. A few key "speed" and "catch & throw" recruits would make all of the schools more of a threat.
With the number of high quality quarterbacks and receivers coming out of high schools these days I should think a few would be interested of a shot at the NFL, and if not that a guaranteed job and great education.

Post-graduation obligations for Naval Academy grads
by GolfJunkie17  (2019-05-08 14:21:23)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

are a little more intense (and less negotiable) than almost every other division I college. I suspect that the recruits the academies get will not change much because of this. That commitment takes a special kind of kid, regardless of access to the NFL, and I would have to guess the amount of college age football stars willing to risk an 8 year obligation betting on their NFL future is small.

I'm guessing this policy change has little noticable impact on USNA's recruiting moving forward.

I agree
by Groundhog  (2019-05-07 01:28:12)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

It's not like they are changing the commitments you have to put in while you are a student.

The vast majority of kids still won't want to go through the rigors of being at one of the academies.

They had this rule in place for a few years not too long ago, I don't think there was a marked difference compared to what it had been.

You are correct about this previously being allowed.
by weirdo0521  (2019-05-08 10:49:04)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

This administration changed it, and that's how ND ended up with Gilman.

2nd sentence nailed it. That and they won't want a job
by BacTien  (2019-05-07 13:20:10)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

where part of the job description is that you are willing to die for your employer.

How many recruits want to pursue
by D8NDomer  (2019-05-08 08:34:38)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

criminal justice? I've seen it mentioned lots of times. Military service is no more dangerous, and a lot more rewarding, than policing.

There are literally no facts in this post
by GolfJunkie17  (2019-05-08 14:28:40)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Only ridiculous opinions.

For one, police officers go home to their families at the end of their day. And they can voluntarily quit being a police officer at any time, with no consequences. Just to address a couple ridiculous aspects of your analogy.

Yes, isn't this simply a reversal of the reversal? And Alohi
by 1NDGal  (2019-05-07 12:32:05)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

got caught in the short-lived pro restriction.