Georgia spent "roughly $2.63M in 2018" on recruiting. (link)
by other_guy (2019-08-20 11:30:18)

I love how “NCAA Schools” is the phrase used, as if member-
by 1NDGal  (2019-08-23 16:04:06)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

ship in the NCAA carries any degree of weight or distinction.

I hear that oxygen-breathing humans enjoy fine dining and walks on the beach.

Price of doing business..
by TWO  (2019-08-20 13:05:32)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

if you want to compete at the highest level. Obviously it's not just recruiting budget, look at all the money Alabama and Clemson spend on their facilities they are committed to playing at the top level, not hoping, but have a plan and fund it and work it.

I don't know what we spend, but since we are a national school it's bound to be a big number, maybe not over 2M like Bama and Georgia and Tenn..but I'd bet it's over a million. There was an article recently on how ND asst travel scheduled airlines, while Clemson asst use private jets to cover more territory more efficiently. They are not letting cost get in the way.

We've spent a pretty penny upgrading everything, the Gug, the new practice facility, very sophisticated training table, etc. Doesn't guarantee a Natty, but if you want to play in that pond you have to spend.

The one number though that stood out was Ohio State "only" spending 944K. They routinely have top 5/top 10 recruiting classes. The other number that stood out was how little Wisconsin spends, they are committed to doing well with a lot of 3 star kids and developing them. It's worked for them very well. I don't think I want to follow the Wisconsin model though.

Was most of that spent on bail money? *
by Frank Drebin  (2019-08-20 12:17:28)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

No, hookers and blow. It is the $EC, priorities come first.. *
by hibernianangst  (2019-08-20 17:32:56)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

amateur athletics *
by jt  (2019-08-20 12:08:21)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

But God forbid that a student-athlete
by daviehamsufferer97  (2019-08-21 21:37:48)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

use their likeness to make some money. That would just destroy college football.

Surely no one should make millions due to college football
by jbrown_9999  (2019-08-23 09:56:23)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Not the coaches, the administrators, and especially not the players

Since college football just involves student athletes playing a sport in their spare time as they spend most of their time faithfully working towards their degrees.

Basically just glorified intramurals

At least that is the message that the NCAA wants to convey