I'm not all that surprised.
by tdiddy07 (2020-02-10 10:52:22)
Edited on 2020-02-10 10:53:49

In reply to: Luke Fickell turned down Michigan State..  posted by TWO

I ordinarily wouldn't think MSU couldn't get a UC coach. But Fickell is a loyal Ohio guy. It took him a long time to be interested in leaving OSU for another job. And he had adopted UC in a way that his predecessors have not. I don't think he'd like going up against the Buckeyes. I think he's one of the rare guys who really is happy with what he's doing. And it'd take a job he views as a title-contending job for him to change that. UC is also a higher-profile job than when Dantonio left for MSU.

I’m pretty surprised.
by Freight Train  (2020-02-10 11:40:08)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I actually think UC is a better program than MSU right now. However, MSU’s ceiling is much higher. UC has a lot of alumni but the support for the football program is not very deep. The stadium is very small and it’s rarely full. UC fans are first and foremost UC basketball and OSU football fans.

For all its problems, MSU fans bleed green and white. That’s just not the case for UC football and I don’t see that changing for a LONG time unless Fickell stays and wins big there for 20 years. OSU has been the dominant program in the state for 80 years or so and there are no other instate programs that even come close. MSU is and will always be second fiddle to UM but the gap between those two is far narrower than that between OSU and any other Ohio school.

Ohio State is to Ohio as LSU is to Louisiana. Maybe Fickell is holding out for OSU. if so, he’s going to wait a long time. I am puzzled by his decision to stay. I know his family really likes the city of Cincinnati but I am still puzzled.

MSU is a bit interesting
by NDAtty  (2020-02-11 10:24:22)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

A good job in a good conference. Nice fan support. Lots of the elements for decent success.

On the other hand, they are the clear 4th in their half of the Big 10. It will be tough for them to surpass any of the 3 ahead of them on a consistent and lasting basis.

If they were in the Big 10 West, I think a good coach would give them a chance to compete to go to the Big 10 title game on a somewhat regular basis. Would take a fantastic coach to do so in the East.

So you're saying that Wisconsin, Iowa, and Nebraska
by jbrown_9999  (2020-02-18 08:33:59)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

are not at the same level as Ohio St, Penn St, and Michigan?

I am not sure how anyone thinks the Big 10 East/West divisions are fair.

I think it’s more about Fickell’s personality.
by tdiddy07  (2020-02-10 13:48:21)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

He was very slow to leave OSU and view another job as a stepping stone. UC has become just successful enough to feel like he can still build something where he’s comfortable. And unlike Kelly, I believe him when he says he sees Cincinnati as a long-term home.

As for desirability, you’re certainly correct regarding UC’s celeb game. But I’d guess based on my memory of class rankings and geography (but would have to confirm) that Fickell has won some recruiting battles with MSU lately and he sees a ceiling. Of course being able to recruit Ohio would be in Fickell’s favor. But ultimately he sees a similar ceiling at MSU. Saban left. Dantonio, who I think is an excellent coach, topped out at being blown out by Alabama.

I’d guess that if he left for another job, it’d only be a place where he thinks he could win a title. And he probably wouldn’t stray outside the midwest unless offered a tier 1 program with recent major success.

I went to 5th and 6th grade in Cincinnati
by Tex Francisco  (2020-02-10 11:54:30)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

That was sufficiently long ago that my memory may be fuzzy, but I remember it being, much more than anything else, a pro sports city. UC basketball and Xavier basketball definitely had their followings, but the Reds and Bengals dominated the market. UC football and even Ohio State football were not big at all. This was during a down period of OSU football, so I'm sure it's different now.

I think it’s a pretty big college basketball city but
by beancounter  (2020-02-11 13:37:51)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

allegiances are split not only UC and Xavier but also UK and Louisville and even some IU.

There’s a lot more UC football interest now and Ohio State fans have come crawling out of the woodwork (while Bengals fans have crawled back into it.)

Quite right
by novadamer  (2020-02-10 18:33:21)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

My daughter and son-in-law, both Buckeyes, live in the Cincinnati metro area now and they both comment how few OSU fans are there.

Cinncitucky. *
by golfjunkie17  (2020-02-11 21:11:59)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Unfortunately, there are a lot of Buckeye fans here.
by beancounter  (2020-02-11 13:31:52)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Far fewer Buckeye necklaces than you would see in Columbus though.

i think it just depends on the company you keep...
by joeyg  (2020-02-10 23:52:53)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I live north of Cincinnati and I find alot of Buckeye fans in West Chester. I have to be the only OSU alum who flies a Notre Dame flag from Labor Day thru Thanksgiving.

This town likes their Bengals but loves their Reds and the local schools/universities are considerably down the list of fan favorites.

Buckeye by birth; Irish forever.