Texas is up to 13 Confirmed + Football Players.
by TWO (2020-06-18 13:29:37)

I wonder what the ND number is going to be, if it's released.

Texas release:

Including two reported from initial surveillance testing last week, as of Thursday, Texas Athletics has had 13 total Football student-athletes who have confirmed positive COVID-19 PCR test results or are presumed positive, Executive Senior Associate Athletics Director for Sports Medicine & Performance Allen Hardin said. All 13 are now self-isolating. Through contact tracing, 10 more Football student-athletes are in self-quarantine, all of whom are asymptomatic at this time. In addition, Texas has identified four Football student-athletes who have tested positive for the COVID-19 antibody. Any additional updates will be reported as that information becomes available.

So...if you want to make a lot of money quickly....
by nddad98  (2020-06-24 16:14:09)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

just invent a mask that allows team sport players to play without omitting any virus. I would imagine it may be possible, and would be used by every team in the world. In fact, I know a guy who takes on such projects and has done quite well over the past 50 years....but it may be too simple and easy for him.

the bottom line is this: locker rooms and gyms and dorms
by ACross  (2020-06-22 12:09:07)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

and any other environment with increased density and repeated, prolonged and close interaction is a bad idea.

Don't get me started with lines of scrimmage and bursts of intense physical activity and collisions and piles on the ground.

There will be a lot of spread if the practices and games are played. Nearly all the players will survive because they are so fit and healthy. Some will croak, because that's how the disease behaves.

People want to close their eyes and make it all go away.

Phil Fulmer is still adamant they will have full crowds
by miamioh_irishfan  (2020-06-24 14:22:02)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

in Neyland Stadium this fall.

Not sure what planet he's living on these days.

Likely....old Phil has the same genetic makup as.....
by nddad98  (2020-06-24 20:00:17)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Trump....whatever I say is what is the truth, regardless of proven facts to the contrary.

It was an odd comment.........
by Ty Webb  (2020-06-24 21:39:35)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Per a UT site article:

“I am confident. I think we’ll play,” Fulmer said. “I don't think anybody knows exactly yet what that will look like. We’re planning on a full stadium and adjust from there. If we don’t, we’re in trouble ...It’s easier to adjust down than adjust up. Hopeful that the trend will turn back down after it’s turned up in our country in places. Bend the curve back down and we can all participate if we want to.”

Is he saying they are in trouble if they don't have a full stadium or is he saying they are in trouble if they don't adjust from full attendance if there are health concerns?

I just took it as be prepared to be able to handle everyone.
by tdiddy07  (2020-06-25 12:01:26)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

And if you don't need that much staffing because of reduced attendance, then you can adjust accordingly. It seemed like a non-statement to me.

They aren't letting kids use locker rooms
by jt  (2020-06-22 20:37:27)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I believe that they can also do this for college athletes.

I have no idea how this is going to happen. I'm concerned for the old guys mostly, and I would like to see a study on how this is impacting people of color.

so I guess that after thinking about this, I would say
by jt  (2020-06-23 12:44:20)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

"the bottom line is, how can they (if they can) keep people, including athletes, safe?"

What steps must be taken to maintain safety? It certainly appears that the virus spreads more in close quarters with poor ventilation. That would mean locker rooms, dorms, and classrooms are high risk for sure. How can we protect the entire student body? One person to a dorm? Rent out a local hotel for athletes? Limited in person classes?

As it relates specifically to athletics, can we do disinfectants between drills (and between drives in games)? Is there protective gear (breathable masks, etc.) that the athlete can wear? Can they have limited fans at games?

Should we just throw up our hands and get back into bed assuming that we cannot answer these questions? That seems to be the strategy many are taking, including ACross, Officer Tim, Irish Warrior, the entire board over at FOFM world, and others. I don't know, perhaps they are right. If there are no answers until a vaccine (and there certainly might not be, I don't want to minimize that argument), it will dramatically change the University system and athletics (especially the collegiate model).

We'll certainly know a lot more once the NBA starts
by Irish Warrior  (2020-06-24 09:49:34)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I was thinking about this the other day, I think you and I are closer on this than we perceive. The truth is, no one knows exactly how this will play out. As negatively as I've viewed this whole thing, I agree, it's worth a shot and planning to move forward is worth it. At some point, though, after enough data points have been gathered, someone will have to make a decision to forge ahead or shut it down. NCAA basketball did that, and that involved their Tournament, the biggest money maker for the NCAA! The biggest problem becomes, what to do when there are positive tests during camp or the season, and we have to be realistic that there will be, experts agree that even the NBA's bubble won't be immune. Teams will have to decide on their own and those decisions will greatly affect the ultimate season outcome.

All this being said, I don't think there's any way possible that fans will be involved in the ultimate decision. That opens a pandora's box that would threaten far too many that goes beyond just a couple hundred people and that's not acceptable to anyone.

...as a corollary, what about the general student populace?
by johneye  (2020-06-21 10:45:00)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Is there going to be an ongoing set of monitoring protocols in place? Taking temperatures to enter the dining hall or something similar. It would seem campus wide protocols would be the way to go unless the teams themselves are in total isolation which seems improbable.

I imagine by August, every player will have had it.
by ndalum1  (2020-06-20 00:54:25)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

In wonder if that's the gameplan.

Nick Watney (PGA) tested positive
by OldRasputin  (2020-06-19 21:40:22)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

and withdrew from this week’s RBC Heritage. He will self-isolate. Will be interesting to see how other leagues handle this. I could see the NFL expanding the size of the practice squad.

Clemson reportedly has 20+ testing + *
by TWO  (2020-06-19 20:36:59)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I was confused why we were talking about Bishops... *
by 88_92WSND  (2020-06-19 12:41:46)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Only the cool kids get to use those symbols. *
by Wooderson  (2020-06-19 15:26:12)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

They should be tested every day. its common sense *
by Voisman  (2020-06-18 21:52:33)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I saw where the NFLPA was saying they'd test every 3 days
by Irish Warrior  (2020-06-19 16:26:29)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

It was the same day and on the same website that Fauci's statement was included. All of this just reiterates, no one has the first clue what's actually going to happen.

Btw, Texas' Governor sat down with all 6 (I can't remember if there are more) FCS schools' ADs just days after a few of them spouted off about having full stadiums. He told them, they'd be lucky to have 50% capacity.

I don't see how they are going to play football this fall *
by Camarillo Brillo  (2020-06-18 21:19:16)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

By not pretending that COVID is the bubonic plague *
by garbageplate  (2020-06-21 13:50:59)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

The athletes are young and healthy
by AlexPKeaton  (2020-06-18 22:22:20)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

The probability is probably higher that they get attacked by a hot dog machine than die or are seriously ill from COVID-19.

but a few will die.
by ACross  (2020-06-22 12:10:15)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

If you don't believe they will, then you don't understand the disease.

You can't say that with any more certainty
by miamioh_irishfan  (2020-06-24 14:30:26)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

than those who say young people are all good if they catch it.

I think this is not accurate
by turtle17  (2020-06-23 23:03:12)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Most data I've seen for healthy 18-22 year olds suggest an IFR is less than 0.01%. With about 100 D1 teams and about 100 players per teams that is less than one player per season. Maybe a few is close enough to likely less than one.
By far the bigger problem is the old coaches and other staff, whose risk is 100x or more larger. You could work on protecting them, or you not play until there is a vaccine.

So what happens when a few die?
by Wooderson  (2020-06-22 11:44:37)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

It's ok as long as you're entertained?

If there is a full season,I would be bet zero die from Covid
by inigomontoya  (2020-06-23 15:05:50)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Not inconceivable of course that there could be player deaths from Covid.

If there is a full season I would also guess that more D-1 football players will die from something else this year than Covid. Other disease, car accident, violence, etc.

I don’t agree with what Cuomo said—-that 1 death is too many.

If I did, I would say close down everything until there is a vaccine. Shut down every restaurant, beach, public gathering, storefront. Pickup rations curbside at food distribution centers. See everyone in Summer 2021, hopefully.

I'd be worried about the coaches and support staff
by Dudd  (2020-06-21 00:46:00)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Lots of fat guys in their 60s working these games. Patrick Mahomes might be fine, but Andy Reid should probably worry

As well as those who interact with them
by Irish Warrior  (2020-06-21 11:16:03)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Even the NBA's "bubble" won't be testing ancillary service oriented Disney staff who will be coming and going on their campus. Life does not happen in a vacuum and there's now way to get it even close to that in the NFL.

Probably true, but there are around 10k D1 football players
by Tex Francisco  (2020-06-19 06:49:54)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

If 500-1000 of them get the virus, there's a pretty good chance that at least a few are going to have complications.

Depends on media coverage
by turtle17  (2020-06-19 09:56:10)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

The odds of a complication are roughly similar to the odds of complications from things like car accidents and other accidents/incidents. My view is the question will be the media coverage. If a COVID hospitalization or even death (latter unlikely with 1k cases among healthy 20 year olds) gets major media coverage much more than an average D1 player being hospitalized or worse for other things, then there will be problems.
I also keep looking at these positive test numbers as indicative that coronavirus is not unheard of among 20 year olds in their regular life, since at least some of these cases were present before they ever got to campus.

Thet fact all this is coming out
by Steelhop  (2020-06-19 21:35:33)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Tells me it is way more prevalent and that young people general fight it off pretty easy compared to over 65 year olds.

Everyone has a plan until they get punched in the mouth
by Irish Warrior  (2020-06-19 16:30:25)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

so said Mike Tyson. I'd imagine everything will be fine until the first reported hospitalization. If it's a "name" player on a "name" program, grab your butts.

Dr Fauci basically agrees re: NFL
by kmurphy173  (2020-06-18 21:24:20)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

“Unless players are essentially in a bubble – insulated from the community and they are tested nearly every day – it would be very hard to see how football is able to be played this fall”

Yeah I don’t understand this. Is it that different from
by inigomontoya  (2020-06-19 14:12:50)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

form living and doing what college kids do while at college?

And if don’t have them in bubble but testing regularly, what is he saying?

That entire teams will get sick and players will die? More risk than playing and dying of football injuries now from heat or playing injury (or later in life?)

please think a little harder *
by ACross  (2020-06-22 12:11:28)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Then shut it all down is your position. No dorms, no
by inigomontoya  (2020-06-23 07:17:17)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

K-12 in-person classes. You still in Arizona?

Isn't this the guy who lied to us about masks not
by NDTwice  (2020-06-19 12:05:09)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

being protective for the wearer, later changed his recommendation, and admitted he lied?

Dear Christ are you stupid *
by ACross  (2020-06-22 12:11:46)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

"Admitted he lied?"
by ewillND  (2020-06-21 13:04:02)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Please provide evidence for that.

I believe he's referencing........
by Ty Webb  (2020-06-23 10:28:00)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Fauci coming out a few weeks ago and saying one reason they downplayed the role of masks early was because they were afraid there would be a run on N95 masks and other PPE that hospitals would critically need when the virus was first ramping up.

Fauci has become an easy target for the Trump supporters like NDTwice.

Or has been wrong (then flipped) on just about everything *
by 84david  (2020-06-19 12:16:00)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I weep *
by ACross  (2020-06-22 12:12:03)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post