Strange timing to make that move
by golfjunkie17 (2020-07-15 22:19:58)

In reply to: St. Thomas to move from D3 to D1, joins Pioneer league in FB  posted by HScorpio

Guess the wheels were already in motion.

The MIAC kicked St. Thomas out for being too good,
by G.K.Chesterton  (2020-07-15 22:52:33)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

so it was sort of forced upon them.

please note again
by jt  (2020-07-16 12:26:26)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

that St John's voted against that decision.

Hopefully SJU follows suit. I don't think we have the cash to do so, however (unfortunately).

Endowment comparison
by jbrown_9999  (2020-07-17 12:55:29)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

St. Thomas: $500 million

St John's: $200 million

misleading. That doesn't include College of St Benedict
by jt  (2020-07-21 12:51:35)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

and UST has a grad school to support.

UST vs. SJU students is about a 3-1 ratio (which is largely how the other MIAC schools justified kicking them out).

It appears that grad schools might be money makers
by jbrown_9999  (2020-07-22 09:48:32)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

The linked article suggests that graduate programs might help support undergraduate programs instead of the reverse.

I didn't mean it that way
by jt  (2020-07-23 19:29:31)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

but that works more in my favor, so I'll take it.

I was basically saying that their cost is higher so they need the higher endowment, but either way it works.

You can't measure endowments in absolute dollar amounts.
by domer4  (2020-07-20 11:30:57)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Well - for a comparison like this.

First off - do it dollars per student.

I could also tell you to modify it if you have more grad students than undergrads - and particularly a medical school.

Suddenly Grinnell, Williams and Amherst become "richer" than Harvard (at least if you're an undergrad).

(PS - Fr Hesburgh once told me that "the two biggest headaches for a college president is a football team and a medical school - and my football team makes up for no medical school.")

The UT system has a $30 billion endowment, which seems
by Tex Francisco  (2020-07-20 20:28:24)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

a lot less impressive once you realize that covers 8 full-service universities (3 of whom have med schools) and 6 stand-alone med schools. That's 167k undergrads and 54k grad students.