The MIAC kicked St. Thomas out for being too good,
by G.K.Chesterton (2020-07-15 22:52:33)

In reply to: Strange timing to make that move  posted by golfjunkie17

please note again
by jt  (2020-07-16 12:26:26)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

that St John's voted against that decision.

Hopefully SJU follows suit. I don't think we have the cash to do so, however (unfortunately).

Endowment comparison
by jbrown_9999  (2020-07-17 12:55:29)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

St. Thomas: $500 million

St John's: $200 million

misleading. That doesn't include College of St Benedict
by jt  (2020-07-21 12:51:35)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

and UST has a grad school to support.

UST vs. SJU students is about a 3-1 ratio (which is largely how the other MIAC schools justified kicking them out).

It appears that grad schools might be money makers
by jbrown_9999  (2020-07-22 09:48:32)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

The linked article suggests that graduate programs might help support undergraduate programs instead of the reverse.

I didn't mean it that way
by jt  (2020-07-23 19:29:31)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

but that works more in my favor, so I'll take it.

I was basically saying that their cost is higher so they need the higher endowment, but either way it works.

You can't measure endowments in absolute dollar amounts.
by domer4  (2020-07-20 11:30:57)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Well - for a comparison like this.

First off - do it dollars per student.

I could also tell you to modify it if you have more grad students than undergrads - and particularly a medical school.

Suddenly Grinnell, Williams and Amherst become "richer" than Harvard (at least if you're an undergrad).

(PS - Fr Hesburgh once told me that "the two biggest headaches for a college president is a football team and a medical school - and my football team makes up for no medical school.")

The UT system has a $30 billion endowment, which seems
by Tex Francisco  (2020-07-20 20:28:24)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

a lot less impressive once you realize that covers 8 full-service universities (3 of whom have med schools) and 6 stand-alone med schools. That's 167k undergrads and 54k grad students.