also off the front page *
by olson (2022-05-19 14:35:15)
Edited on 2022-09-04 13:58:39

This user did not provide content for this post

My cousins were at ND for the Faust years
by Camarillo Brillo  (2022-05-23 07:04:34)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

they lived at Grace Hall. Regarding Pat Ballage, at some point during his career at ND, due to his poor coverage skills, he acquired the nickname "Pat Baggage."

His name was printed in the program one week as
by sprack  (2022-05-30 21:37:18)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

“Rat Ballage”.

Thanks for the info -- always love this
by tf86  (2022-05-20 11:47:58)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

This was the class that entered ND the same year I did. I believe you forgot Ray Carter from this class, there may have been others.

Allen Pinkett, although not a Parade AA, made the most immediate contribution as a freshman. Tony Furjanic cracked the starting lineup by his sophomore year. You could see from the beginning that he was a monster hitter. Hal Von Wyl, projected as the earliest contributor by Terranova, never quite lived up to that billing. For most of his career, he was behind first Mike Johnston (fellow Rochester, NY native) and later John Carney. He had a stronger leg than Johnston, but not nearly as accurate. Carney's leg was as strong and much more accurate than Von Wyl. Von Wyl did supplant Johnston for kickoffs by the end of freshman year, but that was about it.

Ray Makiejus lived in Stanford Hall with me. He couldn't type, so he used to pay me to type his papers (this was in the era before computers became widespread).

Ditto. *
by Fresno MIke  (2022-05-20 18:20:33)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I mentioned Ray Carter scoring a td vs TMI in a JV game *
by olson  (2022-05-20 11:56:05)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

He will always be Coach Ray to me. Grad Asst on '87 team and
by Moff  (2022-05-20 13:19:36)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

a great guy.

Greg Dingens is both a M.D. and a J.D. IIRC
by tf86  (2022-05-20 11:58:32)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Not sure about Makiejus, I've lost touch with him.

He went to Harvard Law School but did not go to med school.
by Moff  (2022-05-20 13:18:04)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

You are probably thinking of him being accepted to medical school per this article

I forgot-the 'misses' from that '82 recruiting class
by olson  (2022-05-20 10:23:36)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Linked below is the Parade HS AA team for that year.

As mentioned in my original post, ND signed 5 off that Parade AA list.

A note here-this info is straight from Terranova's 1982 Recruiting Handbook

ALL of the players listed below took official visits to ND(per Terranova)
=======

Many of the ND misses from that year were also Parade AAs:

Faust was in line to come close to signing a boatload more Parade AAs -(perhaps even threatening his record 13 that he signed the year before!)
=======

ND 'misses' (all Parade AAs)

**Arnold Franklin Te Cincinnati Princeton
and
** Carl Carr LB Alexandria Va

per Terranova, ND finished 2nd for both to North Carolina
---

** Paul Jokisch TE Birmingham Mi Brother Rice to Michigan

---

** Ed Boone OT Cleveland St Joe's
** Bob Maggs C Youngstown Cardinal Mooney

both to Ohio St
---

** Jim Juriga L Wheaton Ill North to Illinois

---

** Ray Wallace RB Indianapolis N. Central to Purdue
Terranova called Wallace 'the best RB in Indiana since Vagas Ferguson
---

** Matt Stennett RB Pittsburgh Shaler Area to PITT
---

** Kevin Willhite RB Rancho Cordova Cal to Oregon

--

AND

a few non-Parade AAs that visited ND

** Roland Barbar DL New Orleans Holy Cross to LSU

** Joe Goebel DL Midland Tx to UCLA

plus

a monster from that Tennessee Military Institute team that upset the ND JV in 1981 - Sam Garland DL (6'7 280) to Florida

------

of note:

if you click on the linked Parade AA team below:

ND did not receive a visit from Parade AA Gerald Browner DL Atlanta Woodward Academy...the last of the Browner boys - Georgia

I remember Roland Barbay fro LA
by Hanratty5ND  (2022-05-20 12:11:22)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

ND missed on another highly touted OL from N.O. a few years later--John Hazzard, who went to LSU. Warde Manuel is another N.O. recruit ND missed on but that came at the beginning of the Holtz era.

From that '82 class I was especially bummed about nor getting TE Arnold Franklin. I think ND had a commit from RB Ray Wallace at one point but he switched to Purdue. Ivan Hicks was the DB I wanted but it seemed like ND never got any traction for him. Don't think he ever visited. I don't recall him doing much in college-so no great loss.

We heard a lot about Van Wyl when he was recruited,
by G.K.Chesterton  (2022-05-19 18:00:13)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

but he never panned out.

kicked off for the varsity for awhile/but was mostly 2nd T
by olson  (2022-05-19 18:37:28)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

behind some walk-ons mostly...albeit I don't think John Carney stayed a walk on

1st, Hal was behind Mike Johnston at kicker, then John Carney (who was pretty good)

Carney also edged Van Wyl out on kickoffs after awhile

Van Wyl was also 2nd team punter too -behind Blair Kiel and then walk on Mike Viracola & Dan Sorensen

Van Wyl did his best work on that '82 JV team....if ND had continued to field a JV squad, Van Wyl would have been one of the Jayvee stars