Athletic conferences are an undergrad construct
by fortune_smith (2022-08-04 20:41:08)
Edited on 2022-08-04 23:12:57

In reply to: Undergraduate rankins are a pretty poor way to measure  posted by fontoknow

Seems like that's the logical place to compare the relative academic strength of the schools in one conference versus another.

If you don't like the US News poll, then, fine, cite another poll, ideally one that's a lot more fluent in the US landscape than some of the non-US polls are.

I think you posted that the B1G is second only to the Ivy "and it's not really close" [that the B1G is vastly ahead of its P5 brethren].

With a perception that the top 5-6 in the ACC are ranked higher in aggregate than the B1G equivalent, I looked up in greater detail. The ACC shows well. Is it better than the B1G? Maybe, maybe not .... but I think it's at least close. The ACC is certainly a lot closer to the B1G than the B1G is to the Ivy.

Further, I think the higher ranked schools among the ACC and the B1G are generally "undergrad first".

Maybe some of the big midwestern state schools in the B1G are PhD factories and/or research powerhouses. If those are the criteria to use, then bring the University Athletic Association into the comparison. That's the D3 conference that includes U Chicago, Wash U, Emory, NYU and a few other luminaries. I'd bet it blows the B1G's doors off.

Replies: